Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All...............I have been looking for a lighter bike for a couple of years. The currently bike is an 05' Vulcan 1500 Classic and it's just getting too heavy for this old body to horse around. I've got almost 50K on the old girl and its now time to part ways. I have test ridden quite a few 650-950 cc bikes and the Versys is my favorite. I just located a used one in Rapid City, an 08' with 9700 miles and looks to be in good conditions with a few scratches. Has Kawi bags and trunk with a tall wind screen.

I'm taking the Vulcan to them tomorrow to see if we can make a deal. I have researched the Versys and not found any real problems. Do any of you current riders know of any "problem" areas with the 08's? How hard are the valves to adjust and what is the interval? Any and all info will be greatly appreciated.

The dealer has this bike on consignment so they probably won't be able to dicker much. They are asking high NADA price but it has some plastic damage so maybe they will drop a bit.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I own 3 Harleys. I love them , but at my age 65, They feel heavy. I recently purchased a 2013 versys 650. It feels light, handles extremely well, has good power, and is probably the most fun bike I've ever owned. I have owned over 50 bikes in my lifetime.
My only real complaint is the seat.The seat slopes forward, pushing you into the gas tank, and forcing you to ride on the narrowest part of the seat. others have explained how to lift the front of the seat a little to cure this problem. I haven't tried it yet, but I intend to. Also I replaced the stock dunflop tires with Shinko F009 Ravens. Huge improvement.
If you want a Fun bike with punch and one that will eat up curves, the Versys is the bike you want.

·
Registered
542 Posts
This is funny, I just replied to a similar post! I've just switched from a 2006 Kaw Vulcan 1600 Classic, to a 2016 Versys LT. The Vulcan looked great, sounded great, was amazingly comfortable going down the highway at 70-80, BUT (as you know) it is a handful at slow speeds, and not any fun in the twisties at all (about 800lbs with extras on it) . I love to ride on the back roads, in the mountains, etc., away from all the crazies, and the Versys really shines there and doesn't wear me out. Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Welcome! Don't be afraid to play around with the suspension settings to suit your riding style. It is highly adjustable, front and back, for preload and rebound damping, and makes a big difference in how the bike feels. A few twists can completely change the bikes character. No real problem areas. It's a Japanese bike. You can download the service manual which will explain valve adjustments from this site. See stickied thread in tech section of this site.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all...........I couldn't make a deal with this dealer on this bike but I'll keep looking and I'm sure I will find the right deal sooner or later.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, found another used Versys, a 2015 650 LT with just over 700 miles on it. Hasn't even had the break-in inspection yet. They offered me a good value on my trade-in and a below retail price on the bike so it's now sitting in my shop. I took a longish way home (85 curvy miles vice 57 straight ones) and it rides great with a few "fit" exceptions. Needs some seat mod to prevent sliding into the tank and some handlebar risers.

I'm looking at just raising the nose of the seat first and if that isn't enough I'll re-work the seat foam to my butt. Then some Rox 3.5 inch risers. Does anyone know if the cables/wiring will accept a 3.5 rise without problem?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Welcome! Enjoy tuning in the ergos of the new bike bike to fit your style. Not sure but 3.5" sounds like a it would be a stretch. Just take a good look at all cables/wiring and you should be able to get an idea what kind of slack you have. Typically going more than 1" you will have issues with throttle cable reach, not necessarily with the bars straight but when turning stop to stop.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Modded the seat and added a gel pad.........not perfect but better. May need to do a Seat Concepts kit in the future. Installed 3.5 Rox risers and only had to re-route the clutch cable behind the triple tree. All other hoses/wiring has slack from stop to stop. Pretty comfy now.......Thanks to all for the welcome.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts