Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I'm heading out this weekend to pick up a 2009 green 650 as my first street bike. 20k on the clock, fresh inspection, new tires, and bone stock except for a Yoshimura pipe.

I am curious though - I know that a slip on can cause the engine to run lean (or is it rich?) without tuning, but I'm not sure how much of an issue this is with these bikes. If it has a Yoshimura but now power commander, should I be worried about picking up either a PC or stock pipe quickly, or is it not worth worrying about?

I'm very excited to finally get riding and looking forward to starting with one of these bikes. Hope to see and ride with some of y'all around the DFW area here eventually!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Most aftermarket exhausts will cause the engine air/fuel ratio to run on the lean side. Probably not enough to damage the engine but will cause popping on deceleration.

Since there are not any after market ECU flashes available for the V-650, a properly tuned power commander would allow you to enjoy the full benefit of having a free flowing exhaust.

If the owner still has the stock exhaust, putting it back on is also an option.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
When I bought my 2008 Gen 1 Versys it had a Two Brothers muffler installed. It also came with the original muffler, for which I was eventually very glad. I installed a Two Brothers Juice Box (their Power Commander) and found that the bike ran nicely without any adverse effects.

However, it didn't take long before I realized that the noise irritated my neighbors and, more importantly, the constant drone gave me headaches on anything but the shortest rides. The "that's a really aggressive sound" thing got old pretty quickly. I re-installed the stock muffler and sold the Two Brothers stuff. The bottom line is that the neighborhood is happier and I no longer get headaches. That sure improves the enjoyment of riding the thing in my opinion.

Having said all that, I'm something of an old geezer (elder statesman I believe is the polite term) and no longer think loud growling, raspy sounds are appealing so my opinions might not match yours. Not to mention some assembly required, your mileage may vary, batteries not included. 0:):grin2:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably not enough to damage the engine but will cause popping on deceleration.
Okay, good to know. I just wanted to be sure I wouldn't be damaging anything. I'm intending to swap it out down the road for an Ixil LX3 Hyperlow, Arrow headers, and a properly tuned PCFC, but it'll be a good while before that happens.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
However, it didn't take long before I realized that the noise irritated my neighbors and, more importantly, the constant drone gave me headaches on anything but the shortest rides.
Well, just about anything is going to be better than the 3in straight through I had on my WRX from the previous owner. (got rid of that as quick as I could, literally woke the neighbors getting home from work). From the few soundbites I can find the Yoshimura doesn't seem like it'll be too loud, and I'm intending on earplugs regardless.

·
Premium Member
16,190 Posts
:welcome: I see you are in the DFW area.. Bought my 09 at Honda/Kawasaki West in Ft.Worth. Put a Yoshi on it never had any issues...

IMG_0479 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:welcome: I see you are in the DFW area.. Bought my 09 at Honda/Kawasaki West in Ft.Worth. Put a Yoshi on it never had any issues...
Awesome, good to know that I don't have anything to worry about. I'm coming from a Subaru WRX which is extremely picky on (and has died, catastrophically, more than once due to) the tune it has, so I'm a little hyper-conscious of engine tuning on everything now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts