Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. New member presenting. From Finland, 42 yo. Took mc-licence few weeks ago and later on that same day bought 2009 Versys 650 driven only 20200 km. Very nice bike but small itch to make some minor performance mods, maybe with exhaust, air filters etc. What can You recommend ?

·
Administrator
8,260 Posts
Warm Welcome aboard and enjoy your ride. Mods can wait , as you will figure it out along the ride. Don't rush and Be safe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome,
Hey I got same year also in green, and I absolutely love it!

You asked about performance mods;
2 days ago I installed a Booster Plug fuel mod (Power Commander light) and a LeoVince underbody exhaust. What a huge difference. Ride-ability has drastically improved and it sounds awesome 👍. The LeoVince is expensive, but it's super nice. Results: Powerband is now linear with smooth operation all the up. No more waiting for 4k RPM to feel power. Downshifts are also drastically improved...no more skidding the rear in a tight corner. No more sluggish throttle below 4k RPM, just smooth power. Top end improved slightly with 6th gear @ 5k RPM reaping 70 mph and it goes up fast to redline.
I'm happy with this combo...Reliable and easy but pricey.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Welcome,
Hey I got same year also in green, and I absolutely love it!

You asked about performance mods;
2 days ago I installed a Booster Plug fuel mod (Power Commander light) and a LeoVince underbody exhaust. What a huge difference. Ride-ability has drastically improved and it sounds awesome 👍. The LeoVince is expensive, but it's super nice. Results: Powerband is now linear with smooth operation all the up. No more waiting for 4k RPM to feel power. Downshifts are also drastically improved...no more skidding the rear in a tight corner. No more sluggish throttle below 4k RPM, just smooth power. Top end improved slightly with 6th gear @ 5k RPM reaping 70 mph and it goes up fast to redline.
I'm happy with this combo...Reliable and easy but pricey.

View attachment 183253
LOL you'l be "6th gear @ 5k RPM reaping 70 mph" If you have a dirty air
cleaner, or if you add twin turbos... No change on the RPM v MPH

RPM v MPH are (only) changed by changing gearing somewhere between the crankshaft and back tyre.

Anyway, welcome to the forum Jarppi.

Would you like more acceleration and more top speed while
getting better fuel economy and less stress to the engine, and entire
drive train? If the answer is yes
Fit a quality motocross chain that has NO "O" or "X" rings (that cause bulk weight and friction and inertial losses).

You'l need to lubricate the MX chain regularly (every tank full of fuel) though, with high viscosity gear oil.

See below Bro... I'm a poet and don't know it.

I should add, and I don't mean to be a downer,
but your age group (especially being a new motorcyclist)
is a high fatality demographic.

So please know Jarppi, that the single most important element
of staying safe on your motorcycle is CONCENTRATION... Concentration
on the road/traffic ahead.

Warm wishes from "Down Under".

Alan.

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
Welcome from Ontario Canada

·
Registered
14 Posts
"RPM v MPH are (only) changed by changing gearing somewhere between the crankshaft and back tyre."

That's so wrong had to read it twice. Good luck with that quote.

Here is my quote "Produce more HP go faster at any RPM."

·
Super Moderator
20,451 Posts
"RPM v MPH are (only) changed by changing gearing somewhere between the crankshaft and back tyre."

And I HAVE TO CORRECT YOU, VWDigger . MORE HP will make you accelerate quicker, BUT you will NOT go 'faster at any RPM' as the gearing gives you a FIXED SPEED at any particular RPM.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your right, changing sprockets increases top end (at the expense of the bottom end or vice versa) and gearing determines the speed at which the wheel spins.

Torque x RPM = HP

We don't live in a vacuum. There is friction: weather, terrain, weight of rider and other factors slow us down; takes more torque.
So since the upgrades presumably produced more HP than stock; 5k RPM at 70mph to redline is faster then stock and top end (WOT 6th gear) will produce a higher MPH (and RPM) with same tires, gears, day and place.

Or change sprockets, tuck low, try to catch up and hope there are no hills or twistes on the route.

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
Your right, changing sprockets increases top end (at the expense of the bottom end or vice versa) and gearing determines the speed at which the wheel spins.

Torque x RPM = HP

We don't live in a vacuum. There is friction: weather, terrain, weight of rider and other factors slow us down; takes more torque.
So since the upgrades presumably produced more HP than stock; 5k RPM at 70mph to redline is faster then stock and top end (WOT 6th gear) will produce a higher MPH (and RPM) with same tires, gears, day and place.

Or change sprockets, tuck low, try to catch up and hope there are no hills or twistes on the route.
Not sure what you are trying to say or accomplish, Horsepower (hp) is a unit of measurement of power, or the rate at which work is done, usually in reference to the output of engines or motors. It requires X amount of energy to reach a maximum KM/HR , the wind resistance the rider weight and other factors play into this. The gear ratio and final drive are factors in this maximum. You can change the gearing all you like, the maximum speed is the result of horsepower and load.
Mathematically, horsepower equals torque multiplied by rpm. H = T x rpm/5252, where H is horsepower, T is pound-feet, rpm is how fast the engine is spinning, and 5252 is a constant. So, to make more power an engine needs to generate more torque, operate at higher rpm, or both.

Reactions: VWDigger

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just trying to give a newbie the info he originally requested. Performance upgrades. The yelling came after.

·
Registered
265 Posts
LOL... I'd love to hear your "explanation" of what you "think"
is in your words "so wrong" with "RPM v MPH are (only) changed by changing gearing somewhere between the crankshaft and back tyre."

Please respond VD, I'm in a statewide covid lock down and I need to be amused.

·
Registered
265 Posts

I bet I'm not the first to tell you, you have less brains than a fence post.

At least a fence post does not go online and prove to the world that it does not
have the capacity of very simple logic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts