Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,Came here after a recommendation from the Honda NC750X forum (ha!)

Some basic advice please;

I am newly-qualified, but not a crazy youngster (!) so looking for a first bike to learn with. Weekend riders and touring will be my main uses.

I am 6' 3" tall... the NC feels a little small. Is the Versys 650 better-suited to taller riders, would you say?

I can't afford brand new, so used market for me. Which year/model is going to give me best bang for my buck? I have seen some 2009 bikes on MCN but the 2012-2014 model seem better in terms of technologies and sorting out the issues from previous. Your experience and advice would be invaluable!

Mike

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Welcome aboard. Can't say I've ever reached 6 feet in my life but, unless you have an enormous inseam, the Versys should not feel too small, especially the V-1000. I'm 5' 10" with a 29 inch inseam and the V-650 was a bit tall until I lowered the suspension. Now it's acceptable. But I doubt you could make the cockpit any more expansive than it is without a lot of work and expense, if even then.

If you're looking to stay in the 650cc range and the V-650 strikes you as being too small I would suggest (begging forgiveness for the heresy) exploring the V-Strom 650. The cockpit is roomier and it's longer and heavier and the saddle is farther off the ground as I recall. Its manners are more like a grand touring vehicle than a sports car but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. My two cents.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Welcome..........when I went to a smaller bike the NC700X was the "other" bike I was looking at. The 650 Versys just has a lot more get-up-and-go. It might not be the perfect learner bike due to it's height and sport bike-ish handling but it sure makes a decent light tourer.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Hi Guys,Came here after a recommendation from the Honda NC750X forum (ha!)

Some basic advice please;

I am newly-qualified, but not a crazy youngster (!) so looking for a first bike to learn with. Weekend riders and touring will be my main uses.

I am 6' 3" tall... the NC feels a little small. Is the Versys 650 better-suited to taller riders, would you say?

I can't afford brand new, so used market for me. Which year/model is going to give me best bang for my buck? I have seen some 2009 bikes on MCN but the 2012-2014 model seem better in terms of technologies and sorting out the issues from previous. Your experience and advice would be invaluable!

Mike
As to used, I see no real advantage skipping a MK-1 and looking at MK-2 except if it has ABS, if you are serious, for improvement, look for a used 2015. I had a 07 Versys, sometimes I regret selling it, I have the 2015 650 ABS. The 2015 has 4 extra horses and a closed loop FI system, better suspension and other improvements . The older Versys had better low RPM response ( 2000 to 4000 RPM) than the 2015, below 4000 RPM the 2015 is a little jerky.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts