Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone. I joined the forum after seeing the Versys 1000 during the AIM Expo in Orlando. Love the bike.

What I can tell everyone is US dealers are expected to have pricing the first week of November and the bikes are to arrive at the beginning of January. In November is when I was told that US dealerships "place their orders" for the January delivery.

Price is to be "around the V-Strom 1000" per Kawi at the AIM Expo.

My current inventory is a 2011 Triumph Bonneville and 2009 Buell Lightning (XB12Scg). I'd like something with more storage and comfort for riding two-up with my wife.

Past bikes include: Yamaha FJR1300, Buell Ulysses XT, Kawi KLX250SF, Harley Davidson FLHX (Street Glide).

I live in the north Orlando area.

:thumb:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Welcome from Alaska! :thumb: If I hadn't done so much work to my 2011 650 Versys already the 1000 might have been in the cards for me. I would like to test ride one just to satisfy my curiosity :D

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jeff.

I'm pretty pumped after seeing the bike in person.

Wife even gives it a :thumb:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Thanks Jeff.

I'm pretty pumped after seeing the bike in person.

Wife even gives it a :thumb:
That's 1/2 the battle:D You will be pioneering with the V1K in the US though. I'd be reading up on the UK Versys site and some of our Canadian brethren who have had the V1Ks and see what works for them. Are you considering the LT model since it comes equipped with some decent farkles already? It would be a bit more $$ initially but you would more than likely be adding that stuff AND MORE over time.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it'll be the LT. There is no option without.

One challenge for me will be the seat height. I'm 5'7" and I'm okay alone but at the AIM Expo I had my wife get on the bike with me. We "made it" but it got me thinking that having the bike about 1" lower would be a huge improvement for me and stability when she's getting on and off the bike. On my previous Ulysses XT we had the same challenge. One of the reasons why I got rid of it.

·
Premium Member
16,251 Posts
:welcome: Once the V1000 gets here,i'm sure Speedy at Motowerk will have a lowering kit for it shortly.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:thanx: weljo2001.

Been looking at Motowerk's stuff already and hoping....

:D

·
Registered
612 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You're lucky to be able to go to that show. it would be fantastic for sure.
There are people on the UK V1000 site that have lowered theirs mind you they are the gen1 bikes but as Weljo says, Speedy will be on the case shortly.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the welcome.

The one thing about lowering the bike it having to possibly cut the side-stand. I'm not a fan of doing that and I haven't (yet) been able to find an aftermarket one to just replace - if any exist.

·
Super Moderator
19,780 Posts
:welcome: 407guy.

As a Canadian, we NOT only get the V1000, but I have the V1300!

:yeahsmile:

'Course HALF is here in BC, the other half in AZ....

:D

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to the forum. Buy some Logger boots and lower the seat first before changing the geometry of the bike.

I used to live in Oviedo and graduated from UCF.

Thanks. (Only an "Orlando guy" for 6 years. So Cal for 21 years prior to my current run in Florida.)

My preference would be a lower seat before doing anything else. But need to get the bike first which is possibly 3 months away. :(

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bumping this up as I was looking for the Versys 1000 a couple of years ago but never pulled trigger.

Today I put a "hold" deposit on a 2017 Versys 650 LT in titanium.

Went to the dealership to take a look at it and fortunately for me they also had a FJ-09 right next to it so I could sit on both. While I'm a bit more planted on the FJ-09, the handlebar position seemed more comfortable and not as wide for me on the Versys 650. And wow, the titanium looks really good in person.

I currently have a 2015 HD 48 which is cool to look at it but it's not a commuter bike -- which is something I'd like to have. So the completion of the deal will be dependent on what they can offer my HD as a trade.

I should know by next weekend whether I'm a new owner of a 2017 Versys 650 LT.

* fingers crossed *

·
Registered
47 Posts
Went to the dealership to take a look at it and fortunately for me they also had a FJ-09 right next to it so I could sit on both. While I'm a bit more planted on the FJ-09, the handlebar position seemed more comfortable and not as wide for me on the Versys 650. And wow, the titanium looks really good in person.
I had the same dilemma between FJ09 and Versys 650. I liked the FJ09 look and engine. But I disliked the price tag, firm seat and my legs didn't like those pegs... while my feet were on the ground(my height is 5.9).

Reactions: 407guy

·
Registered
128 Posts
Congratulations! You'll love your new bike once you've "farkled" it. Stop by the LAMA event Saturday at East Orlando Harley, and you can check out my Versys.

Reactions: 407guy

·
Super Moderator
19,780 Posts
...I should know by next weekend whether I'm a new owner of a 2017 Versys 650 LT.

* fingers crossed *
:goodluck:

:yeahsmile:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone.

One thing I noticed (and posted in Gen Discussion) is the titanium I saw did not have color matched "tops" for the side cases. They were the metallic black. Not sure if that was a dealership screw-up, Kawi screw-up, or their website is not correct. On Kawi's website the 650 LT in titanium has matching side case covers.

* shrug *

1 - 19 of 19 Posts