Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new Versys 2011 love the bike was recomended by a friend so I pulled the trigger. Love the look and style handels well. I am not sure the bike has the power I want but havent went over 5000 rpm yest still has ont 150 miles on it
Kind of used to alot more Bike I have also a VTX Honda 1800 the power is great.
wanting to lower the foot pegs since I an very tall and I feel a bit cramped any advice there would be welcome?

Hope the power band is better in the higher RPMs
Bu tlike the Handeling and feel so far.

Please advise on after market pipe as well

Mark

·
Registered
208 Posts
Glad to have you here unitedsalad.

I can't provide any input on peg lowering. I'm 5'-8" and "too tall" has never been one of my problems. However, there are many posts on the topic on our forum. I know "Speedy" sells a footpeg lowering block. I have a few of his other products and they are excellent.

As far as power is concerned, this 650 is the largest displacement bike I've owned. It has way more guts than I personally need.

I don't have aftermarket pipes, but I really like the sound of my Dark Arrow Slip-on. Has a throaty pop kind of sound. Not too loud (even as i use it w/o the baffle) unless you whack it down.

·
Premium Member
16,226 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Welcome, in my opinion on power it has nice mid range once you push up through the rev range but not the type to throw a pillion of the back.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You are going to find that the Versys makes power in a very different way from that stump pulling 1800 you have. It makes great real world power and you'll find that it starts coming on very nicely once you pass the 5000k rpm mark.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Welcome!

Yeah coming down from the VTX is a big change. Like previously stated the Versys gives alot of real world power you fail to get with a SS or a full on dual sport.

What are you looking for as far as exhaust? Louder? just a change in tone? both?

I've got the Vance and Hines CS ONE however it doesnt work with V35's ive been told, its got a nice deep tone and is probably one of the better looking pipes we get, it is substancially louder though.

I'd love to upload a pic from my phone, and i'd be able to if we had tapatalk enabled :censored::sorry:

google pic:
(this pic does the pipe absolutely no justice)

I've heard the akrapovic on an ER6N and i liked that too, deep but a little more subtle imo

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just bought a new Versys 2011 love the bike was recomended by a friend so I pulled the trigger. Love the look and style handels well. I am not sure the bike has the power I want but havent went over 5000 rpm yest still has ont 150 miles on it
Kind of used to alot more Bike I have also a VTX Honda 1800 the power is great.
wanting to lower the foot pegs since I an very tall and I feel a bit cramped any advice there would be welcome?

Hope the power band is better in the higher RPMs
Bu tlike the Handeling and feel so far.

Please advise on after market pipe as well

Mark
Rev it and find out... Modern engines do not need extensive break-in anymore... The breakin procedure in the manual is just standard lawyer "boiler plate" talk anyway. Besides, every bike is dyno tested (to ensure the engine power is within spec) the second it rolls off the assembly line... In other words, your bike has already seen redline before it was even crated... You actually doing more harm riding it like an old lady... Now go rev it and enjoy the bike...:thumb:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All good info from you all thanks so much....So are we all in agreement to take the revs up close to red line with only a 150 miles on the bike?
As Far as oil goes what is the very best for the bike is just standard motor oil smart or should I get specific Motor cycle oil since there is a trans and clutch involved ?
what is the Best value on a pipe for the bike to give it great tone and look

Thanks again
Mark

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey... with the pipe it comes down to personal preference for sure. What do you expect from it? If it was purely for looks I would've went with the Vance&Hines CS1 , but if you do you must forget adding hard cases on the side because it'll interfere. Arrow has a nice tone, Yoshimura as well ( check out the double tip yoshi carbon for example). If you like it hidden the Leo Vince underbody is a good choice. But theres so many from Scorpion to Beowulf to Remus that has good look and sound. My personal favourite was the SC Project pipe until I've heard the Akrapovic. It has a deeper
yet still subtle tone to it. I think it is more quiet than the stock , very nice revving sound as well. It also smoothened out the ride in the low rev range, I'm doing a lot less shifting between stop lights.And did I mention it sounds awesome? So many choices ,tons of vids on youtube pick the 1 you fancy the most.
As for oil I've started using synthetic after the 2nd change, Kawasaki factory oil the whole time. Switched to Amsoil this spring ( thanks for the reviews from this site) and very satisfied with the result.

·
Registered
221 Posts
:welcome:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts