Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, V- curious and thought i would stop in and ask hopefully relevant questions.

with the appropriate use of the search function of course. RTFM. yadda yadda

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
im mainly wondering if the 650 LT is suitable for mid to long range touring?, weather protection, range etc.
a badly damaged leg (40% use) has neatly knocked me off my concours 14 road hammer and my klr 650 dirt road machine.
so im looking the the lighter middle ground for an all-rounder

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is the reason why I joined here. You guys are so experienced. I've only been riding my 650 for my daily commute to work.

Edit: was just amazed

·
Registered
22 Posts
:welcome: Mark and I hope you turn that curiosity into something positive and that you buy a 650 after all.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
:welcome:aboard Mark. If your have only 40% on your landing gear (legs) , you might need to consider the weight of the 650 and you may consider the X300 which is much lighter , and both can handle long tours depending on riding pattern.

The V650 is an ideal mid weight bike for long tours and have been my companion for the last 9 years and have taken me in all of my South East Asia Tour.

·
Super Moderator
19,119 Posts
This is the reason why I joined here. You guys are so experienced. I've only been riding my 650 for my daily commute to work.

Those are just a SMALL part of the 170,000 miles I've ridden my three V650s....

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts

Have a look at all three of us mods, all 10 to 11 years on this forum, the largest part a simple members.Some of the early bad apples got banned forever, we now have some really good tools for it now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the leg is a problem, the left one is the damaged one. im down to 40% strength on it compared to the good (right) leg. i can handle my KLR well enough but its a bit buzzy and underpowered
to be a good highway runner, its an allday backroad bike, works great in that context, but cruising at 80+ on the interstate is not its forte. my concours 14 is a land missile but weighs 700lbs.
so im going to a middleight that is easier to handle. versys650 lt or a strom xt adventure or a tracer 900GT on the high end. im more inclined to the smaller lighter versys.

If I read the spec sheet correctly the versys is 6 inches less wheelbase and 40 lbs lighter than the strom. thats going to be increasingly more important as time goes by and the knee joint deteriorates until i have it replaced.

the GT looks good but is heavier than either and i like the idea of simple reliable bikes, cruise would be nice but after half a million or more miles without one ill be ok i imagine.

so the choice so far is a 650 versys LT. I like my bikes with saddlebags and decent wind protection.

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
the leg is a problem, the left one is the damaged one. im down to 40% strength on it compared to the good (right) leg. i can handle my KLR well enough but its a bit buzzy and underpowered
to be a good highway runner, its an allday backroad bike, works great in that context, but cruising at 80+ on the interstate is not its forte. my concours 14 is a land missile but weighs 700lbs.
so im going to a middleight that is easier to handle. versys650 lt or a strom xt adventure or a tracer 900GT on the high end. im more inclined to the smaller lighter versys.

If I read the spec sheet correctly the versys is 6 inches less wheelbase and 40 lbs lighter than the strom. thats going to be increasingly more important as time goes by and the knee joint deteriorates until i have it replaced.

the GT looks good but is heavier than either and i like the idea of simple reliable bikes, cruise would be nice but after half a million or more miles without one ill be ok i imagine.

so the choice so far is a 650 versys LT. I like my bikes with saddlebags and decent wind protection.
I hear you. It has taken a year to find out, but I have a partially torn ACL and meniscus , I now wear a leg brace on my left leg. I had a minor crash this year due to unusual circumstances and partially my left leg, having said that I hope to put another 4000 KM on the bike before winter sets in. I wear my leg brace all the time when riding now, luckily it fits perfectly into my motorcycle boots. As to your question, I have my bike with the lowering link , however I carry a good 50 pounds of various stuff, compressor, tire plugging kit, prop stand, heated jacket, etc.
You also question the power, it will do 80 MPH all day, no sweat, however I must add, I had a 07 Versys, now my 2015 , one huge difference in rideability is the ECU flash I got from Shoodaben , the bike is just awesome now.The second thing is the cases, those trekker cases are also fantastic, I had the Givi 35 on the 07, everything wanted to fall out when opening, especially the left side. The Trekker case open top or suitcase, a matter of flipping a latch, and they have been subject to 2 low speed crashes on gravel, minor scratches only.
my former 07

not a good photo but my Trekker case open on the left side using the top opening option

·
Super Moderator
19,119 Posts
...If I read the spec sheet correctly the versys is 6 inches less wheelbase and 40 lbs lighter than the strom....
When I compared riding a VStrom w/ riding a V650 (some years ago, in a thread here), I used the word ponderous to describe my feeling aboard the 'Zuki....

>:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know steve at shoodaben well, he has been my go to advise tech guy for a long time on my concours 1000 and my concours 14. his map is in the concours 14 now. that he has maps for a versys is a big point of favor with me, i know his work is top notch.
and yes i actually prefer my givi 21's over the 36's on my KLR with the top opening feature, less room but my stuff doesnt fall out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts