Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to introduce myself. I just got the Versys 300 ABS to ride the Hill Country of Texas. This bike is a trip. I may have to sell the FJR. I've been riding the FJR 1300 and am really impressed with little Versys. It's a little easier for us old guys to handle. I've had bikes all the way up to the Goldwing 1800. I've ridden as far as the Tail on the Dragon in North Carolina. It looks like a lot of great info on this site.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Welcome from Friendswood TX
Randy

·
Premium Member
16,150 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Why 300 and not 650? I got 2017 versys 650 LT and oh boy do I LOVE IT!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome from southern Illinois, I have a Versys 650 LT and really like the way it rides and handles. I'm a lot the same as you in having many bikes in my time. At 66 yrs young I decided I needed something a little more sporty than the Beemer K100 RT and this is the perfect ride for me. I road dirt bikes for 50 years and have less and less areas to ride anymore so don't go as much anymore so I am really enjoying this Versys. Welcome to the forum and all the information and tips on here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the 300 because I wanted a smaller bike for shorter rides and easier handling. Since I have a FJR 1300 I can get my need for speed there. I rode the 650 and the 1000 and really like them both. I'm enjoying the 300 so much I might sell the FJR and get the 1000 for longer rides.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Amazing bike the FJR. my future bike for sure. I'm just starting out and my versys 650 is my 1st bike. Will build up skill and move up in few years. Definitely FJ09 (tracer) or FJR :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Welcome from San Antonio. I expect that sooner or later my Versys 650 will be replaced by the 300.

Part and parcel of the inevitable "growing older" syndrome are slowly diminishing response to rapid balance changes, diminished upper body strength, and an increased probability of having to live with artificial joints. Those things can translate to a greater possibility of toppling over, less ability to pick said toppled-over machine, and the extremely painful possibility of overextending an expensive replacement joint. None of these things are good.

Despite my best efforts (well perhaps not my very best but still pretty good) I can't turn back time or entirely ignore the age-related results of a foolish risk-filled youth, but my plan is to continue to enjoy motorcycling as long as possible by riding a machine I can manage. Strikes me as an OK plan.

·
Super Moderator
19,145 Posts
...Despite my best efforts (well perhaps not my very best but still pretty good) I can't turn back time or entirely ignore the age-related results of a foolish risk-filled youth, but my plan is to continue to enjoy motorcycling as long as possible by riding a machine I can manage. Strikes me as an OK plan.
Arion - the FACT that you are still "up on two wheels" indicates you did SUMTHIN' RIGHT...!

:thumb: - :thumb:

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Arion - the FACT that you are still "up on two wheels" indicates you did SUMTHIN' RIGHT...!

:thumb: - :thumb:
Yep, and so far that sumthin' right is not falling over too very often. Last time I actually crashed was over 40 years ago but, unfortunately, the last time I fell over was last summer. It was the old "zero speed, left foot down in a small patch of gravel, followed by hey you better et go of the BMW before it falls you" trick. The good part of that story is that I didn't ride into the path of the logging truck.

And perhaps it's helpful that I don't feel or behave like I'm 73. And there are those who tell me I don't look my age either. I'm skeptical but I'll graciously accept the compliment. I also believe the adage that says, "You can't help growing old but you don't have to grow up." I try hard to not be an old guy and so far it's worked.

Then again, maybe it's nothing more than clear, crisp fresh Maine air during the summer and good Tex-Mex while in Texas during the winter. Or just maybe all my friends all need glasses. :wink2::grin2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I love the FJR too but it is a little top heavy and takes a little more effort to ride than the little 300. I looked seriously at the FJ-09 but found out that it sometimes has a high speed wobble at around 100. I had an older Goldwing that had that. Scared the bejezers out of me. Ride safe.

·
Super Moderator
19,145 Posts
... I looked seriously at the FJ-09 but found out that it sometimes has a high speed wobble at around 100...Scared the bejezers out of me....
MY rule is to stay AWAY from bikes that do THAT!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts