Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

MY LONG INTRODUCTION:

I'm a new member to the forum. I have found it very useful (thank you!). I retired a couple of years ago form a local Fire Department, after 27 years. I owned a Sportster then a 2003 Harley Classic Firefighter Edition. Sold the Harley in 2004, allegedly telling the wife "don't ever let me buy another bike"...I don't remember that part! Anyway, bought a motorhome and need ability to get around once parked and setup, so Feb 15th, 2019 bought a new 2017 Versys X 300. Wonderful bike! I added the 12V lighter plug, relay, and Opti7 LED headlight.The plan was to load it on a carrier hitch and bring it camping with us. But, after partial break-in (250+ miles), I ran it up to 70 mph and decided it was too small to be doing highway speeds with the wife on the back, so April 2nd, 2019 I traded it in on the 2019 Versys 650. I love this bike, although I feel as if I'm learning to ride all over again. It does not weigh 835 lbs like the Classic, but it is about 100 lbs more than the VX, and more powerful than anyone of my previous bikes. Like I said, I love the bike and take a ride on a daily basis...finally after 2 years of retirement getting out of the house on a daily basis. I'm signed up for the MSF Class, I took it once years ago, but spent the last 12 years in safety, training and compliance at the FD and love learning, so I also figured it will be a good refresher, as it seems that every cage is trying to kill you down here in FL. I wear a full CE approved mesh suit (HWK) when I ride, as I've become accustom to safety gear over the years and preached to "wear your PPE!" over the last 12. Thanks for sharing this great site!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Welcome aboard FD304ret. Man that's quite a handle. I get the FD and ret but what is the 304?

I too was once a fire fighter but my tenure was short due to injury. FD is a great job. My dad did 32 years with Fresno Fire.

Got many friends and family members that are retired FD, with a few still active.

Cheers and ride safe.

·
Premium Member
16,156 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
807 Posts
Welcome aboard from the Flowriduh Alps, up in Lake County.

I've been retired for 3 years and am doing what you plan on, just skinning the cat a bit differently. I have a Roadtrek camping van and pull a trailer behind with the Vs in it. I've been taking one longish trip and a few shorter ones per year, to escape summer here and just cuz. Long defined as 3-4 months.

Will be leaving in late May for MN. After that I planned on heading out to Newfoundland/Labrador. That part will probably change as my oldest granddaughter and her friend just bought an old school bus to convert. She lives in Boulder, CO. I'll probably spend over a month there helping and guiding. I'm darn good at holding a clip board. So it looks like I'll be "stuck" playing in the Co mountains again. Oh darn.

I am leaving in about ten days on a 2-3 week trip up to the Carolinas and then over to a really fun/great/frugal rally in AR. However, this will involve throwing a tent on the bike and riding around for 4+k miles. Wanna go?

Reactions: Fd304ret

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Admin, thank you for digging me out of spam!

Thank you all for the warm welcome. In reference to the job, it was a great job, what I can't wrap my hands around is how quick 27 years flew by. I wish younger people could realize how fast it goes!

In reference to the question about the 304: The "304" part of the my user name is a three digit ID for apparatus and people. Where I live we have several departments in the county, not a county run FD...1st digit is the department within the county, 2nd digit is the station (I retired out of admin, so the zero), 3rd digit is the unit's response, or the persons ranking (a 1 at the end would be 1st due apparatus).

I appreciate the offer to ride to Minn., but I think I want to do a couple of shorter trips first, maybe to the Keys.

I hope at some point I can be of help to someone on the forum, this is appears to be an excellent forum with great people...

Thanks again,
Mark

·
Super Moderator
19,176 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts