Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

Just bought a Versys 2009 with ABS with about 600 miles on it.

A really fun bike to drive though I have some issues with it...

I´m gonna post it in the technical forum later but I might as well bring it up here.

I hear a sort of "rattling" noise coming from either the gearbox or the chain.
The sound increases in third gear and up and stops when I hold in the clutch.

I'm afraid there is something wrong with the gearbox but then in other hand I think the sound started when I lubed up the chain. I used Castrols chain oil..

The thing is that the guy I bought the bike from did the last oil change in 2010....I know, perhaps Im an idiot who even bought it but the engine sounded alright and I got it for a great price in my opinion ( around 3200 USD)

Of course that money is down the drain if the gearbox is broken...

Im not sure how a bike with chain should sound since I have always drive bikes that have had shaft drive.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I don't think it has anything to do with any particular chain lube.
Recheck the chain tension to make sure that it's not too tight or too loose.

With only 600 miles on the bike, it would be very unusual for any gearbox problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum.

I don't think it has anything to do with any particular chain lube.
Recheck the chain tension to make sure that it's not too tight or too loose.

With only 600 miles on the bike, it would be very unusual for any gearbox problems.
Thanks

I´m sorry...6000 miles it is..having some trouble adjusting to the non metric system =)

It was a bit low on oil when I bought it. Did a complete oil and filter change right away. Im just hoping the engine isn´s a wreck...it runs really well except for this noise.

·
Super Moderator
19,442 Posts
The V is pretty "bullet-proof", but IF your chain is worn-out and loose, or TOO tight, it gets REALLY noisy!

:welcome:

Also - just post your kms - don't try to convert.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The V is pretty "bullet-proof", but IF your chain is worn-out and loose, or TOO tight, it gets REALLY noisy!

Also - just post your kms - don't try to convert.
I´m really hoping it´s the chain or sprockets...

It isn´t that loud and perhaps I´m a bit oversenstive when it comes to noises..

Doesn´t help that I have a Saab that have had three gearboxes replaced either...:D

Thanks for the tip, I´ll use the km instead =)

·
Registered
3,519 Posts

Lube everything up. Check your chain tension. :thumb:

If you take your chain off hand test it, if it is bad you must replace it. :eek:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Do you get the noise when stationary or moving ?

Mine had a loud clutch basket rattle from new. It goes away when you load the clutch (pull the cable in). It went back twice to the dealer to get the throttle bodies sync'd correctly.
Like the guys said, check & lube the chain. If you have to, pull the chain of the rear sprocket and make sure all the links are moving freely. Once you rule out the chain, check the throttle bodies.

Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts