Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member from just outside Philadelphia. I picked up a 2008 Red Versys this weekend with 1800 miles on it. It is mint! I rode it all weekend, and I am very impressed.

I'll pose my first question, I am looking to add a two brothers black series slip on. To those who have added slip ons, did you added a power commander. I'd be interested in peoples opinions on power commanders for slip ons and their experiences with them.

Look forward to hearing from everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Welcome!

I live in Philadelphia. Woohoo!

I would recommend getting a fuel map system if you're going to install a slip on. The factory's ECU isn't going to calculate your slip on correctly and you may lose some power by just installing a slip on.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have a Yoshi pipe and the MFG says it doesn't need a power commander for the Versys. They're wrong. Just plan on getting both.
We're starting to get a more than a few Versys riders in the Phila. area. Maybe we should plan a group ride.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a Yoshi pipe and the MFG says it doesn't need a power commander for the Versys. They're wrong. Just plan on getting both.
We're starting to get a more than a few Versys riders in the Phila. area. Maybe we should plan a group ride.
A buddy of mine is also a Versys rider, but he's not a forum member. There's another guy just over Walt Whitman Bridge.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Welcome!
I'm probably the minority but I have a TBR slip-on without a power commander. I get 50mpg without much effort and never felt like I was lacking power.
If I was on the track I might think otherwise...
ymmv

·
Premium Member
16,188 Posts
:welcome: Save your money. The power commander is a waste on the Versys. As far as exhaust for more power its a waste also. But for looks and sound and to save some weight thats all the exhaust is good for.:exactly:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd be up for that!

And for other replies about the power commander, I knew this would be a topic with very differing opinions. I am primarily doing the upgrade for visual appeal and the sound. I am a believer that a loud pipe will bring more attention (or maybe thats my excuse for myself lol :yeahsmile:).

·
Premium Member
16,188 Posts
I had a Yoshi on mine and there was no need what so ever for a Power Commander..

IMG_0752 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hey Weljo, Didn't your bike backfire when winding down through 4000-3000 rpm's? Mine does. I was told that the Power Commander would stop that. I didn't buy it yet but every pop-pop-pop reminds me I should do something about it.

·
Premium Member
16,188 Posts
Hey Weljo, Didn't your bike backfire when winding down through 4000-3000 rpm's? Mine does. I was told that the Power Commander would stop that. I didn't buy it yet but every pop-pop-pop reminds me I should do something about it.

Just popped a little on decal at first then went away completely.. You should check for air leaks around the clamp. Turn the bike on and use a cigarette or something else that makes smoke. Put it next to the clamp and see if any smoke goes into the exhaust if so you have an air leak and can get some putty to seal it.

The FJR popped so much and felt down on power when i added an exhaust to it.Went back to stock because it sounded like a popcorn machine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a Yoshi on mine and there was no need what so ever for a Power Commander..

IMG_0752 by weljo2001, on Flickr
I really like the look of the carbon fiber pipes. I like the two brothers because it stays a little more under the bike and doesn't stick out as far. I guess initially I can try without a power commander, but I have a feeling its going to need it for the decel popping that seems fairly common on versys slip ons

·
Premium Member
16,188 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,188 Posts
We'll that makes me wonder on my thoughts of carbon fiber. Is this a fairly common problem?

Not an issue with my Yoshi. I put it on the bike early 2010 and took it off and sold it to a forum member here when i sold the bike earlier this year. Put over 20,000 miles on the Yoshi with no issues. Looked great when i sold it. I think its more of a Two Brothers Carbon issue...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not an issue with my Yoshi. I put it on the bike early 2010 and took it off and sold it to a forum member here when i sold the bike earlier this year. Put over 20,000 miles on the Yoshi with no issues. Looked great when i sold it. I think its more of a Two Brothers Carbon issue...
I like the look of the yoshi carbon, but am looking to stay with the underbody. I'll probably do the stainless, its cheaper anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts