Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What up forum! My names Preston, 29, travel and music enthusiast. I used to own an '09 650 my father gave me in Minnesota that I rode back to Portland Oregon. By far my favorite trip ever, all by myself too. About 2 months ago I made my way over to San Diego and purchased this bad boy.

So far I have added:
  • MotoWerk custom highway peg mounts
  • GoCruise throttle lock
  • RAM cell phone mount
Looking to add:
  • Top mounting plate and hardware for a top case (GIVI ideally to match my side cases)
  • Foot pegs/rests for the custom mounts
  • Hand guards (a little confused regarding whether which brands include all needed hardware or not)
  • Fog Lights and mount
  • Cigarette style power outlet (is it worth getting the OEM kawi part?)
  • Larger touring wind screen (suggestions?)
I would love to hear any suggestions from experienced adventure/cross-country riders. i'm 5' 11'' so I don't think I need lowering links. Could use some guidance on the loosening or tightening of the rear suspension spring. Any accessories that you can't live without?

Cheers and safe rides,

Preston

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome. That bike looks really clean. I have a 2015 and there's a section in the owner's manual that explains how many clicks the rear suspension adjuster can do (24). When I bought my bike I didn't get any clicks if I turned the preload counterclockwise so I started turning it clockwise and there was a click every quarter turn or so. Adjust to your desired stiffness but if it's too much one way or the other it will affect safety a little. I'm 6'1" and 190# and 12 clicks works well for me during everyday road riding.

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome. That bike looks really clean. I have a 2015 and there's a section in the owner's manual that explains how many clicks the rear suspension adjuster can do (24). When I bought my bike I didn't get any clicks if I turned the preload counterclockwise so I started turning it clockwise and there was a click every quarter turn or so. Adjust to your desired stiffness but if it's too much one way or the other it will affect safety a little. I'm 6'1" and 190# and 12 clicks works well for me during everyday road riding.
Appreciate the knowledge! I will test it on the next few short rides

·
Super Moderator
19,145 Posts
...Looking to add:
. Hand guards (a little confused regarding whether which brands include all needed hardware or not)
I would love to hear any suggestions from experienced adventure/cross-country riders. i'm 5' 11'' so I don't think I need lowering links. Could use some guidance on the loosening or tightening of the rear suspension spring. Any accessories that you can't live without?...
WELCOME aboard!

I suggest the ZETA XC handguards - they come COMPLETE, and I tested MINE w/ a 25 mph low-side w/, basically, NO damage.

DSC09675 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC09671 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Here's the left bar AFTER I 'repaired' the cosmetic damage (scratches!), w/ a bit of tape:

DSC05405 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I consider the ZETA guards as WAY-Y-Y stronger than the ones on the Gen 3 LT V650s.

·
Registered
2016 Kawasaki Versys 650
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WELCOME aboard!

I suggest the ZETA XC handguards - they come COMPLETE, and I tested MINE w/ a 25 mph low-side w/, basically, NO damage.

DSC09675 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC09671 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

Here's the left bar AFTER I 'repaired' the cosmetic damage (scratches!), w/ a bit of tape:

DSC05405 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I consider the ZETA guards as WAY-Y-Y stronger than the ones on the Gen 3 LT V650s.
those hand guards look soild! thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts