Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All! I'm a female rider from Northern NJ.

I purchased my white 2013 Versys as a new leftover in the beginning of this year and already have over 3000 miles on it thanks to a one-week trip from NJ to Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia. It was the longest trip I've ever taken and loved every minute of it because of my new Versys. Comfortable at high speeds, stable in the rain, held lots of luggage and my favorite part - it's "flickable" like a dirtbike. I am so comfortable on the bike I never felt sore or tired during or after the trip. I've also been riding it to work, something I never did with my previous bikes - a Kawasaki KLX400, a Kawasaki Ninja 250 and what I think I remember was a Suzuki GS400 - I hated that bike so much I only rode it one time and then sold it.

A little background on my decision to buy the Versys: I feel most comfortable on dirt bikes and dual sports, so I had been trying to find a bike which would serve both purposes. I've had a KLX400 for the last few years and although it was great for short trips around town, it was too heavy for me to use in the dirt (and I was also always freaked about denting the gas tank), and too small and uncomfortable to keep up with my husbands V-Strom 1000 on longer trips. I realized that one bike can't be all things. Since I also have a WR250 for the dirt, I needed to get rid of my KLX400 and get a real street bike, but one with a dual-sport feel and could handle some dirt roads.

I had rented a KLR650 in Vegas last year, so I started looking at those. I was really unhappy with the condition, mileage and prices of the ones I was finding, so I kept looking, eventually stumbling upon a used Versys with matching Givi cases in one of the showrooms. I sat on it and knew it was perfect for me. I loved the way I sat forward on the seat, against the gas tank - like my dirtbike! I also liked that I could attach luggage. Unfortunately, it was already sold so I headed right up to the local dealer and found my bike.

Since buying my bike, I've been a regular visitor to this site searching for information on a number of subjects. I have made a number of changes to my bike based on the excellent information the users provide in the forums section:

I (my husband) added the MotoWerks Footpeg Lowering Blocks. I'm 5'6" and I had a HUGE issue with the footpegs being in the way when I was stopped. They were jabbing into the side of my calves and catching my pant legs. I tried changing the position of my legs but having them any other way wasn't working for me, so they got lowered. They are low enough now that they don't hit my legs. I also feel less cramped when riding.

I (my husband) also added the 12 Volt DC Power Outlet. I bought a used OEM bracket on eBay for $10 and found a used relay on eBay for @$10. It said it was for a Ninja, but it had the same number on it that the Versys OEM one has - Omron Relay 1086. My husband also found outlets on eBay for $6 so he bought a few since he was also adding them to his bike for the Nova Scotia trip.

I added the Cortech Super 2.0 36L Saddlebags and a 24L Tail Bag. They strap right over the seat (one strap under the grab bars and one strap towards the front of the bike) and hang over the sides. Not one issue with movement in 3000 miles. I have a cheap black bicycle cable lock which I weave through the handles and the bike's grab bars to make them close to impossible to open or remove without cutting something. I'm counting on the casual thief not having the tools to do so.

I just added the following Top Case set-up which I plan on posting about in the forums. The combination of items totalled $200. Givi 451FZ Top Case Mounting Brackets ($90 RevZilla), a Happy-Trails SU Adapter Plate (to use as my base plate $60 + $13 shipping from Happy-Trails) and a Garage Pro Top Case ($37 JC Whitney). I had learned on the forums that the JC Whitney medium case does not work with the Givi M5, M7 or M5M mounting plates. Unfortunately, the mounting plate which comes with the JC Whitney case does not fit on the Givi Mounting Brackets, so I needed a base plate for under it at a reasonable price. I scoured the sites and found the HT SU Adapter Plate which is really for their side cases, but the measurements seemed perfect so I ordered one. It was! Two holes even matched up perfectly with the Givi Brackets. My husband drilled two more holes in the HT plate to attach it to the Givi brackets and then attached the JC Whitney plate after drilling 3 additional holes to attach. Since the HT plate came with tons of screws, we had what ne needed to mount, including replacing the JC Whitney screws with the better quality HT screws. Looks great but I need to address the decreased visibility of the brake light. The JC Whitney case does not have built-in lights so my husband is researching new brake light options.

Next up: Brush Guards, Crash Bars and Touring Windshield. Also need to fix the buzzing in the gauges.

See you in the forums or on the road!

·
Premium Member
16,147 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Nice, sounds like you know your way around a bike and a garage! You need to take some pictures of what you (and your husband)have done to your bike so far. Oh, and welcome from Alaska.

Reactions: Linda

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Welcome from San Antonio, Texas.

Reactions: Linda
1 - 12 of 12 Posts