Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Versys is the third Kawasaki I've owned. I rode a 2003 Nomad for 12 years and put about 100K on it and a KLR that I rode for several years and put about 25K on it but I liked the, ready for the obvious, versatility of the Versys. I bought a 2016 that was new and want to find out what kind of tires are best for desert dirt road travel. There are more dirt roads in AZ than paved and some towns are only accessible by dirt road, so think, graded, sometimes washed out but not too bad. Any ideas? I was looking at the Shinko 705 or Pirelli Scorpion STR but am open to suggestion.... and experience.

·
Super Moderator
19,587 Posts

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
:welcome: aboard!

I use Shinko E705s on BOTH of my Vs, and I ride the Apache Trail (and other 'dirty' roads!) regularly.
I'd put a lot of faith in what Ed says - he's probably ridden almost every dirt road in Arizona. Many good stories and great photos. And on top of that, as I recall he's ridden D2D at least twice and that's heroic in my book (or slight whacko). :grin2::grin2: But then I rarely ride off road intentionally.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Shinko tires

Welcome!
I have used Shinko tires and found them to be of excellent quality.
Tom

·
Super Moderator
19,587 Posts
I'd put a lot of faith in what Ed says - he's probably ridden almost every dirt road in Arizona. Many good stories and great photos. And on top of that, as I recall he's ridden D2D at least twice and that's heroic in my book (or slight whacko). :grin2::grin2: But then I rarely ride off road intentionally.
D2D THREE times - '13 and '15 on the '09 GREEN HORNET (which got 'written-off' after a low-side near Inuvik [but STILL was ridden back to Kelowna w/ a 'tweaked-something!]), and again in '16 on the '15 GREEN HORNET TOO.

Rode the Dempster Hwy to Inuvik and back twice - '09 on a KLR650, '15 on the GREEN HORNET.

·
Super Moderator
19,587 Posts
D2D THREE times - '13 and '15 on the '09 GREEN HORNET (which got 'written-off' after a low-side near Inuvik [but STILL was ridden back to Kelowna w/ a 'tweaked-something!]), and again in '16 on the '15 GREEN HORNET TOO.

Rode the Dempster Hwy to Inuvik and back twice - '09 on a KLR650, '15 on the GREEN HORNET.

Here's a pic of the FIRST time I rode the Dempster, in '09 on my '04 KLR650, w/ Bill from Vancouver, BC.

and here's from the FIRST Alaska ride I did ('04) on my 'Zuki Bandit 1200S, posed in Dawson City, YT w/ my buddy Joe from Arkansas (at THAT time)!

·
Registered
181 Posts
The Versys is the third Kawasaki I've owned. I rode a 2003 Nomad for 12 years and put about 100K on it and a KLR that I rode for several years and put about 25K on it but I liked the, ready for the obvious, versatility of the Versys. I bought a 2016 that was new and want to find out what kind of tires are best for desert dirt road travel. There are more dirt roads in AZ than paved and some towns are only accessible by dirt road, so think, graded, sometimes washed out but not too bad. Any ideas? I was looking at the Shinko 705 or Pirelli Scorpion STR but am open to suggestion.... and experience.
Check out the Avon Trailrider as well. I've run the 705 in Arizona, worked great until it hit 10k miles (front, rear went 4500) then it got ultra sketchy on wet roads when I got home (NY). They're cheap though so you could just replace when they get sketchy if they ever do, and AZ is pretty rain free most of the time.

I've run the original Scorpion Trail but not the STR or the Trail 2. The Trail was fine for packed dirt roads and was a really good sport tire as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts