Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here and also new to motorcycling. At my local dealer they have new 2014 Versys for $2000 less than the new 2015's. To me I really like the looks of the 2014's however it seems like the upgrades are pretty substantial on the new bikes "Shocks, rubber mounting, brakes, subframe, ect" . What do you guys think? Save the money ? Thanks for the help!!!!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
The looks of the Gen 2 Versys is what sold me. I am NOT a fan of the Gen 3 bikes, they look too much like every other bike. I was looking for more of an ADV style bike. If you are looking for a street touring then the 2015 might be your best bet. It's a tough choice for some. Good luck.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I too bought a 2014 because 2 grand is 2 grand.

I only read the reviews in passing but think I noted most of the differences. The new bikes have 4 more hp, rubber mounts and therefore less vibration, easy pre-load dial that looks like it added 5 pounds to the bike, and a rake change. Saddlebag pointed out the following.........." the additional trail of the new model makes it more stable, like a cruiser. At higher speeds, with luggage/passenger, that's kind of a big deal."

To be clear, I am not bad-mouthing the 2015's. They appear to be remarkable bikes. And if I was unable to steal the last 2014 here in my region, I'd be riding a 2015 right now.

Only you can decide if the 2K is worth it.

From my perspective, I got a brand new 2014 for about what the used bikes were going for.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
a different rake which make the bike respond slightly slower in the front end when turning., or more cruiser like. And maybe some brake changes but I am not sure.

To be clear, I am not bad-mouthing the 2015's.
Another way to say it, that doesn't come across as bad mouthing, is that the additional trail of the new model makes it more stable, like a cruiser. At higher speeds, with luggage/passenger, that's kind of a big deal.

I just got back from a trip down to the Gap. I have a '15 V1K that's even more raked out. It transitioned side to side plenty quick in the switchbacks. It also damn near went into a full on tank slapper when countersteered to dodge an object in the road while traveling about 90 mph. It could use more rake IMHO.

Unless you're going to be racing, there is no need for such steep rake angles. At the rates of speed that race bikes need to change direction, the lighter steering matters a lot as the faster you go, the harder it is to steer. At street going speeds, not so much...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Another way to say it, that doesn't come across as bad mouthing, is that the additional trail of the new model makes it more stable, like a cruiser. At higher speeds, with luggage/passenger, that's kind of a big deal.

I just got back from a trip down to the Gap. I have a '15 V1K that's even more raked out. It transitioned side to side plenty quick in the switchbacks. It also damn near went into a full on tank slapper when countersteered to dodge an object in the road while traveling about 90 mph. It could use more rake IMHO.

Unless you're going to be racing, there is no need for such steep rake angles. At the rates of speed that race bikes need to change direction, the lighter steering matters a lot as the faster you go, the harder it is to steer. At street going speeds, not so much...
Thanks Saddlebag! In no way was I bad mouthing. Like I said, I'd be on a 2015 if I didn't get lucky with a 2014.

I changed my post and quoted you, mostly so I don't sound like the butthole that I really am. ;)

Sorry to hear about coming far too close to a tank slapper. That will put the fear of God in you.

Peace my friend !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies guys!! Sounds like most of you would save the cash. Anyone have any thoughts about the brakes? Ive read the gen 2 are a little soft. However I wonder how picky the people doing the ride reviews are; and if they forgot these are $5-$7 thousand dollar bikes.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I went and bought a 2013 over the 2014 because I could get it in blue, not to mention it was cheaper than the 2014 and just a bit more than used bikes were going for.

my bike has a bit of vibration to it that im sure the 2015 models addressed, but its not too bad. my inline 4 seca 2 would make my hands numb, even my friends vmax would, but the versys doesn't.

I would save the cash and get the 2014, makes for more cash towards aftermarket goodies. :D

·
Super Moderator
19,625 Posts
New member here and also new to motorcycling. At my local dealer they have new 2014 Versys for $2000 less than the new 2015's. To me I really like the looks of the 2014's however it seems like the upgrades are pretty substantial on the new bikes "Shocks, rubber mounting, brakes, subframe, ect" . What do you guys think? Save the money ? Thanks for the help!!!!
My suggestion: IF the $2,000 is a "tough-sell" for you, then you HAVE to go 2014. On the other hand, IF you have $2,000 'burning-a-hole-in-your-pocket', then go w/ the 2015.

EITHER way - you're gonna LOVE it!

(Looks like I'll have a 2015 w/in a week, as my '09 buddy gets "written-off"...:censored:...)

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys!! Sounds like most of you would save the cash. Anyone have any thoughts about the brakes? Ive read the gen 2 are a little soft. However I wonder how picky the people doing the ride reviews are; and if they forgot these are $5-$7 thousand dollar bikes.
Nothing braided lines and upgraded pads won't fix :thumb:
FWIW the brakes on my Gen 2 2011 have worked just fine. But I came from riding a 92 Fatboy and then a 1988 Honda XR600 with a drum rear brake so I may NOT be the best opinion to compare with....

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
SS braided lines on the front wheel improve the brake feel as do after market pads like the EBC HH pads which produce a more linear feel. One issue with them though is that lines without a cross over are easier to bleed but interfere with most hand guards that have an inner point attachment as they attach two brake lines at the handlebar.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
New to motorcycling? Buy a 250CC dual sport bike to hone your skills on, and then buy what you want. You might buy this bike and either drop it, wreck it, grow bored with it, or become too scared to continue riding. It happens. That is why there are so many 200 mile a year bikes out there for sale. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
19,625 Posts
...One issue with them though is that lines without a cross over are easier to bleed but interfere with most hand guards that have an inner point attachment as they attach two brake lines at the handlebar.
UNLESS you go down to your local hardware store and buy a longer bolt AND a spacer, then do this:

LOTS of room now!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts