Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Indiana!

I'm in a bit of a conundrum and could use some help. My local dealer has a 2009 Versys with 0 miles that has been sitting on the showroom floor for over three years. I've managed to talk him down from $7000 to $6200. New ones are listing for $7800.

Do you think that changes/improvements can justify the additional cost of getting a 2012? or is the 2009 perfectly fine the way it is.

I plan on adding hard saddlebags (if it makes any difference) and will frequently have a rider (the wife).

Thanks for any help you can provide!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
If the $6200 is tax, tag, out the door then it's in the correct ballpark... Although I'd certainly request some decent aftermarket tires be installed to replace the 4-year-old OEM Dunlops (maybe at dealer cost, if not gratis) In 2010 the engine was given rear rubber mounts which helped a bit with vibes... But otherwise they're the same bike with a bit different Tupperware bits and pieces.

Even though the 09 is "new", as soon as you roll it off the showroom floor, it's then a 3 yr old bike. Look at Kelly blue book for an 09, there won't be an option for "new", because it doesn't exist ;)
I concur...

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep I was concerned about the instant depreciation as well.

$6200 was not the out the door cost.

I was going to request all the fluids be changed out from sitting so long, do you think the OEM tires would have problems after that long? What problems might those be?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you think a fair price on a 2012 is?

MSRP is $7800, but what prices are people realistically paying?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I think they would do $5,600 OTD old and $7,500 OTD for new! IMHO :goodluck:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
:welcome:

Most of us found the original tires to be lacking of feel and traction especially in the wet. They work fine if not pushed but there are probably very few people who like those tires even brand new.

"The standard Dunlop 221 tyres are shocking" is the description used in the 'Bike' magazine Sprocket recently posted.

Whichever bike you get you're bound to love it! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
What do you think a fair price on a 2012 is?
MSRP is $7800, but what prices are people realistically paying?
In November I picked up a new 2011 for $7k out the door from a dealer in Cocoa, FL. It was after the season and one of a couple of leftovers... I had to make a 600 mile round trip to pick it up so that cost me a few bucks in time and fuel, but still a good deal.
At the present time... Prime motorcycle season... I doubt if there any sweet deals around for new 2012s, but you never know.
Just last week a new 2011 on eBay went dor $5825 or thereabouts from a dealer in Utah.
Just get on cycletrader.com and do a bit of research... you'll figure things out.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You guys got me curious so I called the large dealer in Indianapolis and they quoted me a price of $6600 for a 2011 in the color of my choosing. Apparently they are having a sale right now.

That's kind of a no brainer.

Looks like Friday I'll head up to the big city and see if they live up to that quote. Hopefully I'll be riding one home then. :)

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I called the large dealer in Indianapolis and they quoted me a price of $6600 for a 2011 in the color of my choosing.
As long as its's Imperial Red... 2011 Model's only color.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You guys got me curious so I called the large dealer in Indianapolis and they quoted me a price of $6600 for a 2011 in the color of my choosing. Apparently they are having a sale right now.

That's kind of a no brainer.

Looks like Friday I'll head up to the big city and see if they live up to that quote. Hopefully I'll be riding one home then. :)
Definitely do that. Gotta say, I wish I had your luck. Only two dealers in my area even had Versys when I looked. One had a black 2012 and the other a red 2011. Since there were so few in the Atlanta area I wasn't able to haggle too much. Though apparently it had been sitting there since nearly launch so I was able to get it for a little over dealer cost and the dealership pocketed the $300 promo from Kawasaki. I bought the red one for $6,900 plus all the fees (ended up just over $8,100).

I had visited my parents the week before and showed my father the bike at a dealership there in northern VA ($6,600) and he bought one the week after I bought mine "used" off some guy for $6,200 or so with under 200 miles on it. Exact same bike and he managed to get it for nearly $2k less than me. I couldn't be too bummed though since I've had so much fun with the bike.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Assuming you're paying cash, ask them to fax or email you a written quote, including all fees and taxes, before you head up there. My 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
19,630 Posts
...I was going to request all the fluids be changed out from sitting so long, do you think the OEM tires would have problems after that long? What problems might those be?
The OEM Dunlops ain't that great to begin with, plus now the rubber has hardened up some, so - EVEN worse now. Hard rubber tends to slide or slip quite easily.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The tires don't really harden much until the mold release is worn off. That way the can sit on a shelf for years without any issues. I would be more worried about flat spots on the tire from sitting in the same spot then the tire being too hard.
FYI I bought my left over '09 at the beginning of last year for $5550 OTD, which includes a 6.25% sales tax. Kawasaki was offering $1000 cash back to the dealers at the time however.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Not much difference except for styling. You may regain a few hundred dollars in the resale value but the 09 is going to be the better value, no real mechanical differences.

·
Premium Member
7,879 Posts
Check where the new model is made. If its Thailand , its better to get the 09 which is Japan build and Quality wise its a much better. IMHO

:cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts