Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I had owned a 2004 1150GS, to large, then a wr250R, to small.
Was looking very hard at a 650 Vstrom then sat on a Versys and WOW, everything felt great. I have not ridden one yet.
Trying to decide of ABS is worth going with brand new but would rather stay with used, under 5k.
I ride back roads, commute to work, I HATE interstate riding for over 45mins...

Hope to gather good info here, maybe find a Tulsa Oklahoma Versys group.

·
Premium Member
16,198 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
:welcome: Maybe go used if you can find the right deal? Not big on used but some great deals out there! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Winter is a good time to look for bargins. I was lookin' used, too, without much luck. Found a '13 leftover on ebay for $5,800. Shopped around here and found a '12 leftover in San Antonio for the same price. ABS for me is just another electronic complication.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Pretty much all of us here on the forum have been riding non-ABS for years and years and we're still around to tell lies... so I'm guessing you'd do just fine on a good-deal gently used pre-owned V and then use the money you save on protective gear and farkles.

I don't recall anyone yet saying they would be trading their present Versys for a 2014 model just to have the advantage that ABS provides.

·
Premium Member
16,198 Posts
Do a search on Cycle Trader "Kawasaki Versys Nation Wide" Saw a few new 2013 for around 5800.00

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Pretty much all of us here on the forum have been riding non-ABS for years and years and we're still around to tell lies... so I'm guessing you'd do just fine on a good-deal gently used pre-owned V and then use the money you save on protective gear and farkles.

I don't recall anyone yet saying they would be trading their present Versys for a 2014 model just to have the advantage that ABS provides.
Interesting comment. How many miles do you ride a year and how many times have to locked up the brakes because of a panic stop?

ABS only comes into play when one panics and grabs too much brake. Experienced riders who practice emergency braking are less likely to grab too much brake compared to newer riders, but it can still happen.

I wouldn't have a heavy touring bike without ABS, but find I can handle controlled slides on light bikes. The Versys is somewhere in the middle and I have been able to handle the controlled slides thus far, but if ABS had been offered when I bought mine I would have bought ABS. Is ABS worth the thousands it would cost me to trade my '11 in on a '14? No.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Interesting comment. How many miles do you ride a year and how many times have to locked up the brakes because of a panic stop?

ABS only comes into play when one panics and grabs too much brake. Experienced riders who practice emergency braking are less likely to grab too much brake compared to newer riders, but it can still happen.

I wouldn't have a heavy touring bike without ABS, but find I can handle controlled slides on light bikes. The Versys is somewhere in the middle and I have been able to handle the controlled slides thus far, but if ABS had been offered when I bought mine I would have bought ABS. Is ABS worth the thousands it would cost me to trade my '11 in on a '14? No.
I do about 9-10k per year nowadays... I haven't locked up my brakes in the 2+ years I've been riding my Versys... I guess because I haven't had a panic stop. I do practice emergency braking now and then and the fact that I've been riding since 1964 and this V is about my 15th bike probably contributes to my lack of encounters with emergency situations now that I'm an old goat.

Had ABS been available when I bought her I would have certainly been happy to have it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts