1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
SWEET! Any idea on the price?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice find BoB, Don't need a new batt. just yet. Will keep my Eye out for the replacement and seriously consider future needs. A point I would need to confirm IF it's Cold Cranking Amps is hindered More/Less then a stock Batt. Living in Alaska need all the power during the cold, ya never know when ya get the urge for a Freeze Dried rides. :)
Ride Safe, have fun.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Lithium batteries are a lot more energy-dense than lead-acid.
I may be wrong but I think lead-acid can handle more charge cycles as well as being cheaper.

At 159 bucks I wouldn't want to replace one per year or even two years.
At that price I'd sooner rig my own from ebayed laptop batteries (or just keep using Pb)

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's not that bad considering the price of a new Versys battery. And I hope we don't have to replace them every two years. It's not for everyone, but someone looking to save weight, it might be worth the price.

As far as the Li vs lead acid, if you read the faq's on their sight, I believe they explain the pros/cons & what-not. These lithium batteries are not the same as the lithium batteries from a laptop.

From the site:

Frequently Asked Questions​
1. Are they Lithium batteries?
Yes, but they are a completely different chemistry than the batteries that power laptops, cell phones, and Ipods. The chemistry is called Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP).

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Lead/acid type batteries are good at tolerating overcharging for long periods. I have heard that, in general, the voltage regulators in cars and bikes are designed to work with this in mind.

So, I am not so sure that the lithium technologies could handle the typical overcharging scenario.

·
Registered
158 Posts
From Wikipedia:

The LiFePO4 battery uses a lithium-ion-derived chemistry and shares many of its advantages and disadvantages with other lithium ion battery chemistries. The key advantages for LiFePO4 when compared with LiCoO2 are improved safety through higher resistance to thermal runaway, longer cycle and calendar life, higher current or peak-power rating, and use of iron and phosphate which have lower environmental impact than cobalt. Cost may be a major difference as well, but, that cannot be verified until the cells are more widely used in the marketplace.

LFP batteries have some drawbacks:
The specific energy (energy/volume) of a new LFP battery is somewhat lower than that of a new LiCoO2 battery. Battery manufacturers across the world are currently working to find ways to maximize the energy storage performance and reduce size & weight.

Brand new LFP's have been found to fail prematurely if they are "deep cycled" (discharged below 33% level) too early. A break-in period of 20 charging cycles is currently recommended by some distributors. Rapid charging will shorten lithium-ion battery (including LFP) life-span when compared to traditional trickle charging.

Many brands of LFP's have a low discharge rate compared with Lead-Acid or LiCoO. Since discharge rate is a percentage of battery capacity this can be overcome by using a larger battery (more Amp-Hours).

While LiFePO4 cells have lower voltage and energy density than normal, this disadvantage is offset over time by the slower rate of capacity loss (aka greater calendar-life) of LiFePO4 when compared with other lithium-ion battery chemistries (such as LiCoO2 "cobalt" or LiMn2O4 "manganese spinel" based Lithium-ion polymer batteries or Lithium-ion batteries).

For example:
After one year of use, a LiFePO4 cell typically has approximately the same energy density as a normal, LiCoO2 Li-ion cell. Beyond one year of use, a LiFePO4 cell is likely to have higher energy density than a normal, LiCoO2 Li-ion cell due to the differences in their respective calendar-lives.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.