Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

New Las Vegas Versys owner

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  onewizard 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Just bought this 2009 yesterday. Believe it or not it only had 117 miles on it. Origin owner rode it a couple times and has just had it garaged ever since. I added about 15 miles to that driving it home. Anyway, I’ve had my license for 5 years but truth be told I’m still a very novice rider. I had a ninja 500 I rode a bit until I laid it down in some oily gravel I didn’t see a couple years ago and broke the fairings and turn signal. It sat for a while as I had “big plans” of fixing it up. It always was a touch underpowered for my tastes though. I didn't want a rocketship but there were times it seemed the lack of guts could be a liability. Anyhow, I broke my back in an ATV accident a year and change ago (perhaps I should be avoiding recreational vehicles altogether). Though I’m “mostly” back to normal living, the will to tinker for hours on end in the garage is gone, and with it my plans to do anything with the ninja other than sell it at this point. The idea of being hunched over busting my knuckles to remove and clean gummed up carbs no longer sounds appealing. So, something a bit more modern, fuel injected, reliable, comfortable and with a tad more grunt seemed in order. Lucked upon this 650 yesterday. Price was shall we say hard to say no to.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome...

#7 ·
Shelf life of tires is 5 or 6 years, depending on resource. I would just change them.
I recently bought a 2013 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 with only 5000 miles and the original tires. They had plenty tread, but I couldn't trust them.

#4 ·
Thanks. He said he took it in for maintenance recently because he wanted to start riding it again but wife said “no.” But he didn’t give any records or anything so I’m taking that with a grain of salt and will do some fluid changes on it. Tires are in good shape. I make take it to a dealership or local mechanic for a once over just in case.

#6 ·
Welcome aboard!

I'd recommend carefully inspecting every rubbery part for deterioration. If it looks original, I'd replace it. Don't be surprised if some things fail before too long, like fork seals. I'd replace tire valve stems too.

The tires will have a date code on them, so you can see when they were made. More than about 5 yrs old and they should be replaced because the rubber gets hard, and thus loses traction.

If you haven't done so, change the oil asap. An engine that sits can develop rust, so when you run it those bits get into the oil. The filter won't get it all, so you need to change it out. You could do it now and then again in a few hundred miles just to be sure.

#10 ·
Welcome from Canada 🏍

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.