Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these bikes in completely different categories? I see videos with Versys 300 compared to Honda CRF250L AND videos of the Crf300 vs klx300, but never Versys compared to KLX. What am I missing?

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
What you are missing is asking someone to compare two bikes from the same manufacturer.

The KLX300 and Versys 300X definitely have some overlap, but one would choose the KLX300 if they are using the street to get to the trails, and the Versys 300X if they are using a dirt road to get to a campsite.

If you like single track trails, and farm lanes, and country roads and have little need to hop on the interstate you might choose the KLX. If you need to ride the interstate but also enjoy farm lanes, and country roads and have no intentions of doing single track trails than choose the Versys..

If you look at Zak and Ari's comparison of the Versys 300X and Honda, just replace the KLX for the Honda.

Same if you are watching Fortnine's video on which you should choose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good advice! . Sub the Honda crf300 for the KLX.
(As a marketing manager at HP, Fujitsu, Honeywell, etc., one of the things we worked very hard at was helping customers choose between our various products in a given category.)

Gotta love FortNine. That particular video deserves an Oscar for best short documentary. As I read it, his somewhat metaphysical conclusion was the Honda. And that was the heavier, slower Honda CRF250L... Which is what I ride.

My rides start in the Idaho wilderness and go through deeper wilderness... Hell's Canyon etc. I like my Honda but I would also like 25% more hp... (i have 24 and it looks like the klx300 is 30+)
And the weight reduction won't hurt.

Beaverton Honda has the KLX300 at a great price. My local Boise dealer doesn't have any.

Im talking myself into this.

·
Registered
95 Posts
"...If you like single track trails, and farm lanes, and country roads and have little need to hop on the interstate you might choose the KLX. If you need to ride the interstate but also enjoy farm lanes, and country roads and have no intentions of doing single track trails than choose the KLX.."
Did you mean the Versys for the second choice?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was my assumption... Just a typo. He meant Versys. I will add that the Zak and Ari video he referred to on YouTube, while not as philosophical as FortNine's, is also outstanding. They conclude that the Versys 300 has very adequate off-road capability and that it's greater power makes it the better choice. (Z&A fail to mention that the Versys only produces that power at very high revs. Plus they were riding a lot of pavement.)

·
Registered
Vx300
107 Posts
Fortnine likes the Honda as an introduction to ADV. But leaves off with when I get older and riden everything everywhere, what will I want then? staring straight at the versys. I know I, and some others here more closely resemble that category.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sold my 2020 KLX250 once i had my X300, but still crave some more off road, Drooling over the Honda Rally 300 for those more dirt days. But would not get rid of the X300. Just did 1200 miles on it with half dirt roads. Love it. But did get stuck in mud on the ORV trails in spots. Sounds like we all think alike.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I like KLX 230 for off-roading. I do have crf250 but converted it to supermoto and use for commuting. klx 230 is more friendly for off-road is air-cooled; i lost my radiator fluid twice in the my crf 250l when falling hard on some challenging trails. Versys 300 is basically a road bike that allows you to go on some gentle dirt roads; it looks tall but actually it has too little suspension travel to do anything else. as a road-aventure bike it provides you with much higher comfort than klx 300 or any dirt bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts