Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All,

2 weeks ago I bought a new 2017 Versys 650 from RideNow Powersports in Tucson. It's my first bike in 35 years. I last owned a Yamaha 250 Enduro in the early '80s. My girl and I recently moved from the Phoenix area to rural Cochise county, and I realized that I was in an ideal area to own a motorcycle again - light traffic, lots of scenery, tons of cool areas to explore. So, I took a 3-day MSF course to polish up my skills and determine if I really wanted to follow through and buy a bike. The class went well, I was licensed the next day, and bought the bike about a week later. I was originally targeting the V-Strom 650, but swung towards the Versys at the 11th hour. It just seemed like the better street machine, and I like the looks of it much better than the Strom. Then I found a smoking deal on this leftover '17 and the decision was made. I paid $7450 out the door, including destination, setup, and t&l.

I've only got 52 miles on it as of today. I'm taking it easy and getting comfortable before venturing further from home. The 4k rpm limit during the first 500 miles of break-in is brutal! Feels like it's barely off-idle at 4k, and that equals 55 mph in 6th, so that keeps me off the 65 mph 2-lane highway nearby for now. The one irritant so far is the jumpy throttle, something I read complaints about before buying. It's so sensitive and a pain to modulate smoothly, particularly during low-speed turns. But I'll get used to it.

Looking forward to interacting with the community here. If there are any other owners nearby, give me a shout.

-Kevin aka CochiseKev

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Welcome from Canada

:welcome:to the forum , please read;http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/5-member-introductions/205361-wizard-member-intro.html

First, the 4000 RPM limit is wrong, the head mechanic at my Kawi dealer said to not baby it and not stay at a constant 8,000 RPM, but short bursts to 7000-8000n RPM is wanted. My mechanic also said the motor could have full synthetic right from new, so major changes from 30 years ago.I was hitting 7,000 RPM a little over 30 KM, also used engine braking in the 3000 to 6,000 RPM range. Motoman is a common break in strategy. Lots of info and expect many to comment, one thing you don't want is to stay at or below 4,000 RPM.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have owned 4 different bikes over the past 2 years and never followed the RPM BS in the manual. The latest was my Indian VTwin. Never had any issues.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
A ride in the twisties is the perfect break in. On the gas and off the gas.

The thing to avoid is constant speed cruising like on the freeway.

As far as "break in" the single biggest issue is the piston rings. When on the gas it loads them against the cylinder wall to facilitate proper wearing in.

Have fun with the new bike.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Welcome aboard from San Antonio, TX. Recently returned from a 2100 mile ride to the Tucson area where we spent a week exploring a ton of interesting attractions - Pima Air Museum, Old Tucson, Sonora Desert Museum, Biosphere II, Henderson Car Museum, Time Machine Miniatures Museum, Southern Arizona Transportation Museum, and other places I've already forgotten. Oh, and the excellent Cycle Gear store at 2 West Grant Road. Our Scala Rider Q2 Pro communicators became unreliable so we replaced them with Sena 20S communicators that Cycle Gear had on sale. Very nice!

Left Tucson, passed through Tombstone (once was enough for the vaguely historically accurate reenactment of the gunfight in the vacant lot behind the OK corral) and ended up in the old copper mining town of Bisbee where we spent two days before heading back to S.A. A great trip - good weather, pleasant temperatures, no mechanical problems with either machine, and no unplanned excitement. Can't ask for much more.

Again, welcome and enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Arion, I'm only about 20 miles from both Tucson & Bisbee. Such a beautiful area down here and so many great places to ride.

I hope. you made it by the Titan Missile Museum? Not far from Pima Air & Space, and SOOO cool. The last remaining Titan II ICBM complex, converted to a museum, complete with a (dummy) bird in the silo.

Wizard, thanks for the comments above about break-in. I will do some research on the "Motoman" method. 4k limit seems ridiculous, especially for 500 miles.

·
Premium Member
16,190 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Arion, I'm only about 20 miles from both Tucson & Bisbee. Such a beautiful area down here and so many great places to ride.

I hope. you made it by the Titan Missile Museum? Not far from Pima Air & Space, and SOOO cool. The last remaining Titan II ICBM complex, converted to a museum, complete with a (dummy) bird in the silo.
Well, blast and damn! Missed the Titan Missile Museum. Didn't know that it existed and didn't see or hear a thing about it. Guess we'll have to go back again next spring. Wouldn't mind that at all. :grin2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, blast and damn! Missed the Titan Missile Museum. Didn't know that it existed and didn't see or hear a thing about it. Guess we'll have to go back again next spring. Wouldn't mind that at all. :grin2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I took her out for a good run yesterday, and ran it up to 7-8k a bunch of times, and did a lot of compression slowdowns. Sure felt better than when I was trying to baby it below 4k! I'm confident that this is a better break-in procedure than Kawasaki recommends. I'll get the oil changed soon (maybe at 100 miles) and then do the scheduled first maintenance at 600 miles. Thanks for pointing me to the MotoMan info. He makes a lot of sense and clearly knows what he's talking about, and has the experience and results to back up his methods.

·
Super Moderator
19,433 Posts
... Thanks for pointing me to the MotoMan info. He makes a lot of sense and clearly knows what he's talking about, and has the experience and results to back up his methods.
You are welcome. ALL three of my Vs were broken in like that on the ride home from the dealer (less than 75 miles!) than the oil changed, and again at 500 miles and at 1,000, then changed to Mobil1 15w-50 (automobile) oil, bought at Walmart for about $26 / 5 qts.

NO problems w/ any of them, and NO oil burning.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts