Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas - New to the forums here. Thanks for having me!

I am trying to finalize a deal with a seller in NY State (I'm in PA)

From what I have seen on the market this is a good deal, but I want your opinion on it. Here is the link:

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/4408535918.html

I thought maybe this is a member's ride and someone would recognize it. Bike is said to be in good condition with newer tires, never laid down & stored indoors. Owner told me it was his son's bike that he used to learn on & now needs the money so hence the sale. Owner has a BMW1200 that he rides so I'm certain he is not new to riding.

One thing that alarmed me is as when I threw out my cash price - he accepted it straight away without trying to squeeze any more money out of me. At $3900 it's at least $500 below KBB.

Am I overthinking this decision? Is the market for these bikes as such that deals like this can be had? Perhaps he just wants to sell and get out from under it -OR - has it sustained a drop/accident and he's willing to take whatever for it?

I definitely want the bike (a versys that is!) and know it fits me well (I'm 6'0" & 230). Sat on one at a dealership and loved it. In any case - any insight on this would be helpful.

Furthermore - I am buying the bike in New York State & transferring it to Pennsylvania. Anyone have any knowledge of NYS laws and what documentation is required?

One last thing - I am new to riding and have a general idea of what to look for when inspecting a bike. Would it be y'alls reccomendation to take it to a dealership and have it inspected before purchase?? There is a Kawi dealer about 6 miles away from his house. Just want to cover all my bases and not be trailering a POS back home.

Thanks in advance for your help & look forward to joining this community as someone who just enjoys the ride!

Cheers!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Buying in NY is a breeze! No notary required, just sign the title and it's yours. I bought my first bike and my last car from NY no issues to speak of. (Other than making sure the title says MC as in Motorcycle but that's another story)
It wouldn't hurt to ask how often he did oil changes. If he and his father both ride, odds are pretty good it's solid.
I say pull the trigger! You won't regret it
:goodidea:

·
Premium Member
16,156 Posts
I would get off the couch and get a deposit on it before someone beats you to it....Don't over think it...

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I bought my 2008 with around 4600 miles on it (with Corbin saddle and Two Brothers carbon muffler) for $4200 and thought it was a good deal. I'd jump on the 2009 at $3900 if I were you. It looks good in the photos and it also has low mileage for its vintage.

Good luck. :thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Buying in NY is a breeze! No notary required, just sign the title and it's yours. I bought my first bike and my last car from NY no issues to speak of. (Other than making sure the title says MC as in Motorcycle but that's another story)
It wouldn't hurt to ask how often he did oil changes. If he and his father both ride, odds are pretty good it's solid.
I say pull the trigger! You won't regret it
:goodidea:
I read up on it some. Plan to call the NYDMV tomorrow. No notary is odd to be since I've always lived in PA. I think this is the bike for me. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weljo - Spoke to the fella tonight. He's holding it for me and scheduled to pick it up on Friday. Thanks for the advice/kick in the a**! I really think this is the bike for me! Very excited to be on two wheels for the first time in my life. (I had terrible parents ... can't you tell?!?)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I read up on it some. Plan to call the NYDMV tomorrow. No notary is odd to be since I've always lived in PA. I think this is the bike for me. Thanks for the help!
I'm from PA as well, but since I'm so close to NY I've bought vehicles on both sides of the border. Definitely prefer to not have to deal with the Notary!

·
Premium Member
16,156 Posts
Weljo - Spoke to the fella tonight. He's holding it for me and scheduled to pick it up on Friday. Thanks for the advice/kick in the a**! I really think this is the bike for me! Very excited to be on two wheels for the first time in my life. (I had terrible parents ... can't you tell?!?)

Good Deal...That bike is just barely broken in..:goodluck:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Alright fellas - deal with the buffalo seller fell through so I ended up finding this 2011 (3900 miles) closer to home. Price was a little more but the bike is in AMAZING condition & has a yosh pipe already on it - plus I like the color better anyway and it's the 2nd gen. In any case - sometimes the world helps make decisions for you and I usually don't fight it. Worked out well for me. So here she is loaded up on the trailer. I picked her up Friday and have a helmet on order so still haven't ridden yet (it's my first bike!)

What do you think?

http://http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac360/Codymck/acf5ffe8119c16a744f68b096f30ff9f_zps40a42b15.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts