Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm excited to find this forum, as the Versys 300x ABS isn't like any bike I've ever owned. I learned to ride 11 years ago on a $600 1978 Suzuki, which was replaced soon after by a 1986 Shadow. After nine years without riding, I bought a 1974 BMW R75/6, but it's a basket case that is more of a restoration project than something I can ride regularly.

So when I saw a 2017 300x with 98mi for sale for $4k, I jumped at it to have a bike I could actually ride reliably during the short time we don't have snow here in Maine (USA). I've had it for a week and well over doubled the milleage the first owner put on during the summer he rode it (he bought it in 2018 and only rode it that season). The bike is a delight, but wow that little engine is strange to me.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I forgot to say welcome to the forum. This is a good place with good, knowledgeable people.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I definitely got a good deal. The bike was owned by an older gentleman who was thinking of getting back into riding, but ended up not being into it like he had been when he was younger. I've changed the oil/filter and am following the break in process recommended by the service dept at the shop where the bike was originally bought, but I suspect he was rough on it in the those first 98mi.

But other than a bit of surging, which is getting better, and lugging/running rough under load at less than 3000rpm (which could also be me being heavy and the pistons being tiny), and the clutch signal connector needing replacement (meaning the bike will ONLY start in neutral, not in gear with the clutch pulled in), it's in awfully nice shape. No signs it was dropped, and wow is it nice starting up a bike with fuel injection, especially after two weeks of carburetor work on the antique BMW!

I forgot to say welcome to the forum. This is a good place with good, knowledgeable people.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thanks! I definitely got a good deal. The bike was owned by an older gentleman who was thinking of getting back into riding, but ended up not being into it like he had been when he was younger. I've changed the oil/filter and am following the break in process recommended by the service dept at the shop where the bike was originally bought, but I suspect he was rough on it in the those first 98mi.

But other than a bit of surging, which is getting better, and lugging/running rough under load at less than 3000rpm (which could also be me being heavy and the pistons being tiny), and the clutch signal connector needing replacement (meaning the bike will ONLY start in neutral, not in gear with the clutch pulled in), it's in awfully nice shape. No signs it was dropped, and wow is it nice starting up a bike with fuel injection, especially after two weeks of carburetor work on the antique BMW!
The dealer told me not to go above 7,000rpm during the first 1,000 miles I believe and I followed their advice.

Fuel injection is way better than carbureted.
Carburetors are such a pain.

Surging? Hmm. That's all a little too early to be having any problems but those bikes are made in new factories in a new country location, from Japan to Thailand. I'm not sure if some are made in Japan so they have a few kinks here and there. Mine only has about 3,000 miles now because I haven't been able to use it for several months because of a bad battery and the difficulty of getting the one I ordered online. BikeBandit isn't the place to order from right now. I had to order my battery from DennisKirk.com with BikeBandit being unresponsive to customer service except to tell me that a caliper screw / pin I ordered was finally on its way.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Welcome from another Maine resident, specifically Rockwood on Moosehead Lake. To be honest now it's just between May and October, but I was raised at Moosehead. Grandparents owned and operated sporting camps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm excited to find this forum, as the Versys 300x ABS isn't like any bike I've ever owned. I learned to ride 11 years ago on a $600 1978 Suzuki, which was replaced soon after by a 1986 Shadow. After nine years without riding, I bought a 1974 BMW R75/6, but it's a basket case that is more of a restoration project than something I can ride regularly.

So when I saw a 2017 300x with 98mi for sale for $4k, I jumped at it to have a bike I could actually ride reliably during the short time we don't have snow here in Maine (USA). I've had it for a week and well over doubled the milleage the first owner put on during the summer he rode it (he bought it in 2018 and only rode it that season). The bike is a delight, but wow that little engine is strange to me.
Welcome and congrats on the 300 x. Read your posts and noted the surging. With 98 miles only since 2018, maybe the gas has gone a little bad. Ethanol in gas absorbs moisture from the atmosphere, and even though this fuel system is "sealed", it's not perfect. So once you get rid of the old gas and fill up with a Top Tier gas I'll bet it runs better.

Also, the dealers break in advise of 7,000 RPM is at odds with the Kawasaki owners manual, which says 4,000 max for 400 miles, and 6,000 max until 1,000 miles. You can access the owners manual for free on the Kawasaki website. Index

I bought a 2017 with 850 miles on it here in Texas a couple of weeks ago, just got past 1,000 miles last week. Stuff just arrived for an oil change, coolant drain / refill, brake fluid flush, and air filter clean / oil, chain clean / lube. Spent this afternoon pulling all the Tupperware off for a thorough cleaning and service. Added the Kawasaki center stand ( stupid expensive) after reading lots of comments on how crappy the cheap aftermarket units were, and sure enough the Kawi part fit like a glove.

Ride safe and enjoy!

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Welcome. Run some seafoam through the fuel.

That little engine needs to be revved. The upper 1/2 of the rev range is where it needs to be unless you are coasting along, and then you should downshift to accelerate. Once you get to use the full range of the engine you will see that it is really a little Ninja in Adventure bike clothing. They love to be revved and ridden at those higher RPMs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts