Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a new helmet. I ended up getting the Gmax GM54S modular helmet. I took it out for a few runs yesterday and I have to say I love it. I got the white, and it matches my bike pretty darn good. I had an Icon Variant before, and that thing was like a sail with the huge visor and chin piece. I love the integrated sun visor and the fact that the helmet is modular. I know a lot of people on here may say that modular helmets are not as safe, but I live in New Hampshire where 80% don't wear helmets, 15% wear non DOT fake helmets, and 5% wear gear that is appropriate. The way I look at it the helmet is as safe as any 3/4 helmet and im no longer a daredevil so it works for me. In my opinion it is a little heavy, but not too bad. I may get a Nolan or something else down the line if this helmet doesn't work out but I wanted to try the whole modular thing. It is quieter than my icon was which surprised me, and the integrated light in the back can be swapped out for a blue tooth version that acts as a brake light for $35. So far me likey:thumb:

·
Registered
638 Posts
I spent a bit more and got the Nolan N104 modular and love it. I went from uning a Bell open face 3/4 that had a small attached visor. The buffetting over 50 mph has almost completely gone away, even with the small OEM screen. Hope your weather breaks soon so you can start getting some miles on your V.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spent a bit more and got the Nolan N104 modular and love it. I went from uning a Bell open face 3/4 that had a small attached visor. The buffetting over 50 mph has almost completely gone away, even with the small OEM screen. Hope your weather breaks soon so you can start getting some miles on your V.
Yes me too. The little snow we got yesterday is pretty much gone, but it is still pretty chilly out there.

·
Super Moderator
16,054 Posts
The only helmet I'll wear are modulars....

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've got a Gmax is54 modular also....I had never owned a modular helmet before.. I like it a lot, my wife has a HJC modular, and the Gmax looks like a much better helmet...(see my post on modular helmets)....

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
I love the integrated sun visor and the fact that the helmet is modular.
I followed your link, looks like a great price for a modular with extra features! :thumb:

I will really be considering a modular with internal visor when I replace my aging EXO-1000. I plan on getting 1 more season out of mine before it becomes another ornament in the garage.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you read the reviews it had 115 out of 116 positive reviews. That's enough for me. And the fact that it's cheap works too. I always look at the bad reviews first. You get a good idea of the worst case scenario.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I have been running with EXO 400 for four years. It's a great helmet for the money, but would like to try modular with sun screen! :thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
If you read the reviews it had 115 out of 116 positive reviews. That's enough for me. And the fact that it's cheap works too. I always look at the bad reviews first. You get a good idea of the worst case scenario.
Just read some reviews on amazon and they were really positive overall there as well.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I too recently switched from a Dual Sport helmet with a visor to a modular and MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE it made!! I've never worn one so it's taking a bit of getting used to but the reduction in wind noise and pressure is AMAZING! even without a windshield installed. So much improved. I went with a NEW company off brand GLX.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005QIG8UC/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was an Amazon Warehouse deal for only $70!:thumb: It must have been a return or something because it looks and feels BRAND NEW. I figured for 70 bucks, IF it didn't work I wouldn't be out that much. But so far it is a very nice unit. Fit and finish are up to par with any other similar name brand.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts