Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,
I am a relatively new rider. A 2009 Versys 650 is my first bike. I didn't realize when I bought this bike what a great bike I had. I have since completed my MSF course and obtained my endorsement. I've been riding ever chance I get. That is, when the weather breaks and my wife says it's okay. I found this bike in early November 2019 on Facebook Market place. I figured this was a good time to shop. I had already scheduled my MSF course and started obtaining gear. Of course, new helmet. Everything else was from the consignment store or hand-me-downs from friends and relatives who ride. Anyhow, my Brother-n-Law (BnL) helped me land this bike. I was correct on the time of year. The guy who had it did not want to store it, and he owed money and wanted out from under. We were able to get it at a steal for his payoff amount ($2K). Most amazingly it had only 9k miles on it. I'd seem similar bikes going or more than double that. My BnL said if it turns out I don't want the bike, he'd take it and flip it. After his first ride, he changed his tune a bit. He advised me to be very careful when I start riding as he pulled the front wheel in second by accident.
So, I got the bike home. I did take it around the neighborhood once before my MSF course. I couldn't stand it just sitting there in my garage begging me to take her out. No speed runs. Nothing crazy. I was amazed at how forgiving the power and controls were/are. Clutch takeup, shifting, braking, signals/lights, heated grips, etc. The seating position was way more comfortable than I realized when sitting on it in my garage. With some careful throttle control (I was afraid!) and I was easily cruising the neighborhood. Not sure my neighbors love the aftermarket pipe the previous owner put on it.
Now, I have my endorsement and I've been riding all I can. I've taken it to work several time. Got a flat back tire on my first ride to work. That was interesting. Highly recommend Gieco Riders insurance with towing. So now, some new Dunlop Q3 Plus tires and I'm all over the place. I love this bike. The power is right where I can use it. I don't have to ring it's neck to feel it, but I can if I want to. I've heard the Versys 650 described as flickable. I have to agree. As I improve my cornering ability, it's right there with me. I've taken it some short road trips. I mean short like 4 hours to and from some nearby locations. I can't get enough. I love this bike.
Yaknow, I bought this bike thinking it would be a good budget starter bike that I would probably drop a few time. After a few years I would upgrade to something else. Now, only 5ish months in, I'm think this bike will stay with me for a while. Don't get me wrong, it has been dropped. There are a few small scratches on the left side. Pretty obviously a low or no speed drop. I, knocking on wood, have not dropped it yet. I don't plan to, but you know who these things work. I want to keep this bike for a while.

With what little time riding it I have, I'm thinking of a few mods. I'd like hand guards. Not the serious off-road type. I'm looking for a wind break. The heated grips are great, but the other side of my hands freeze in colder weather. I'd also like to upgrade the wind screen. You can see from my profile photo, it still has the factory windscreen. I'm just a tick over 6', and I get a lot of helmet buffeting at freeway speeds. The bike did not have handlebar ends when I bought it. I just put some on, but I suspect they won't be long enough for hand guards. The guards I've looked at installed stick out more than the short bar ends I've got on it now. Not sure where I can pick up OE ends. Last thing I would like to do is to put the exhaust back to stock. I appreciate the concept of being heard and seen, but this aftermarket pipe is loud. I mean really loud. I would definitely consider an aftermarket pipe that wasn't as loud as the one that's on it. I'll have to get a pic to show what brand it is, if anyone is interested.

That's about all I have. If anyone has any helpful hits, tips, tricks, advice, etc. Please hit me back.
Thank you all for your time.

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
:welcome: When my heated grips just don't cut it i put my Quad Boss ATV Mitts on the bike. With the heated grips its warm and toasty...

P1010713 by weljo2001, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
:welcome:aboard and enjoy your ride. Be safe.

On aftermarket exhaust , you may want to take a look at Yoshimura.

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
:welcome: aboard!

I put ZETA XC hand-guards on BOTH my '08 and '09 Gen 1s, W/OUT the bar-end weights, and tried the '08s out in a 30 mph low-side, which did NOT bend anything on the bars!

DSC09671 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC09675 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

DSC01194 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
You did get a great deal! I just spent 1k more on an 08 but I'm happy with the bike and the wife is happy that I didn't spend 8k on a new one. I decided that a grill on the ugly headlight and some bars and boxes will make it look more like an ugly adventure bike any way. I might even do a beak just for grins and groans.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all the recommendations. I have ordered a new wind screen, hand guards, and a few other things. I am going to drill down on some research for a quieter slip-on. Thank you for the Yoshimura suggestion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts