Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After 25 years of wonderfully reliable BMW's, I've retired to an area where the nearest Beemer dealer simply is too far away. So I'm looking around at other brands to fill our sport/touring needs. I won't give you a list of what we've tried out during that quest (many bikes), but after whittling it down I'm seriously considering a used Versys 1000, I have enough questions to fill a small book, and searching this site has given me many answers. However, I've got several more questions still to go and I'd like to start with this.

Which are the Mark I, II, III models and how do they differ? I'm more interested in the 2016 and later Versys. But I don't know which is which and which has what.

Can someone give me a brief primer?

Thanks in advance.

Registered
Welcome. If BMWs are so reliable why are you moving away from them just because no dealer nearby? :whistle: :rolleyes: 馃槡

Good luck with your search. Depending on what model BMW you are coming from might sway what model V1000 you are interested in. Personally I'd go for an SE+ if I were going with a 1000.

Registered
Welcome aboard. My understanding is there's three different versions of the V1K:

Gen I 2012-14
Gen2 15-18
Gen3 2019

The article below gives a very good explanation of the changes between Gen 2 and Gen 3, at least all of the electronic ride improvements etc. Structurally I don't think they were that many changes in the frame and motor itself, but I could be wrong.

Just out of curiosity, what part of the country are you in now?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We've ridden nearly 375,000 miles on BMW's and we're happy with how the bikes have performed. Just as we were with the various Japanese bikes we rode before that.

Basic maintenance we take care of ourselves. But we've had to replace clutches on two high-mileage Beemers, and then there are things like spline lubes, fuel pump replacements (they do wear out), alternator belt replacements (also wear out), replacing throttle cables (which are a PITA), and other high-mileage things we like to leave to the dealer. Besides, we'd like to try something different and the Versys seems a good candidate (and I was hoping to discover an informative group here to help us out). We now live rurally in western Colorado not far from the Utah border and not only is the BMW dealer several hours away, but there's a Kawasaki dealer much much closer. So I thought I'd ask some questions. Some of you have been very friendly and helpful. And I'd like to Thank You. I'll have more questions as I narrow down which year Versys will suit us best. I hope I can count on more helpful replies.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From the looks of it, and the information provided by some of you, the Mark 1 is simply too old, while the Mark 3 is full of advanced technical wizardry that I'm not attracted to. So it looks like I would probably be in the market for a good Mark 2.

Again, the feedback provided by the members here has helped clear this up. Thank You.

Registered
I'll just mention that I went from an old school St1300 to a 2020 V1K and the technical wizardry hasn't been a problem. In fact, just the opposite. The suspension is a true joy that is easy to work, quick to change, etc. Love the cruise control. All the rest is there if/ when I need it but not a factor in the fun of the ride.

Registered
I saw this article, but not sure when/if this will be available. Might be another option.

Registered
'16 V1K, '17 Moto Guzzi V7III, '17 Honda CRF250L Rally
I don't believe the first generation was available in the U.S. You might be able to find one up north as I do believe Canada got them.
An advantage of a 2nd generation is the availability of a Shoodaben ECU flash. I can attest to the many benefits it provides to the stock map. It just makes the motor better by smoothing out everything from response to sound and adding some performance. More information on this is available over at Versys1000.com. Steve has his own section under Offers from Forum Vendors over there. You could also Google Shoodaben Engineering. He is very accessible via phone or email.

Good luck with your decision.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't believe the first generation was available in the U.S. You might be able to find one up north as I do believe Cabada got them.
An advantage of a 2nd generation is the availability of a Shoodaben ECU flash. I can attest to the many benefits it provides to the stock map. It just makes the motor better by smoothing out everything from response to sound and adding some performance. More information on this is available over at Versys1000.com. Steve has his own section under Offers from Forum Vendors over there. You could also Google Shoidaben Engineering. He is very accessible via phone or email.

Good luck with your decision.
Thanks, Deep Sea.

And thanks to all who've provided positive feedback, links and other information. I knew I had found a good group here.

Super Moderator
...And thanks to all who've provided positive feedback, links and other information. I knew I had found a good group here....
(y)(y)

Registered
After 25 years of wonderfully reliable BMW's, I've retired to an area where the nearest Beemer dealer simply is too far away. So I'm looking around at other brands to fill our sport/touring needs. I won't give you a list of what we've tried out during that quest (many bikes), but after whittling it down I'm seriously considering a used Versys 1000, I have enough questions to fill a small book, and searching this site has given me many answers. However, I've got several more questions still to go and I'd like to start with this.

Which are the Mark I, II, III models and how do they differ? I'm more interested in the 2016 and later Versys. But I don't know which is which and which has what.

Can someone give me a brief primer?

Thanks in advance.

Registered
Great all around bike. Good power, solid brakes, sky hook suspension works really well, nimble in tight stuff, comfortable for 2 up touring, love the riding position, low maintenance intervals, all works well together. I鈥檓 sure someone will say it can be better here and there but the over all package works. For me the only thing that would make a 10 would be power adjustable windshield however I find myself adjusting it only few times. Not that big of a deal. Ask away if you have any specific questions.

Registered
I'll just mention that I went from an old school St1300 to a 2020 V1K and the technical wizardry hasn't been a problem. In fact, just the opposite. The suspension is a true joy that is easy to work, quick to change, etc. Love the cruise control. All the rest is there if/ when I need it but not a factor in the fun of the ride.
You are spot on. Technology is super easy to use and bike is years ahead of ST. 170 pounds weight difference make a joy to ride.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BOUGHT ONE. Based on the great leads, advice and links provided by many of you above, I got answers to the Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3 question I initially posed, and made a decision. Then I found a 2018 V1K online and have put down a deposit. I have to go pick it up this coming week.

Then comes a few short rides before the Colorado winter sets in and then lots of questions about farkling over the next few months. But those will be in new topics.

Thank you once again for all your help, everyone. I'll post pictures once she's home.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts