Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

New Guy to Versys Old to KLR and By By Buell

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Time 
#1 ·
Good morning guys. I just replaced my Buell XB12STT.

While I love the Buell it was killing my knees to ride it long distance anymore. And that’s what I both bought and set it up for. I put Hepco & Becker side boxes and a tank bag on it along with a touring saddle and small wind shield. BUT its cockpit is so small that I am forced in to one riding position with no relief. There’s only one set of pegs and no way to mount more and it’s a cramped ride after an hour or so. BUT man does it have power and handling going for it.

I also have a 2009 KLR that I love, great little bike on all but the Super-Slab, Will haul anything anywhere as long as you're not in a hurry. I even rode it to Florida from Ohio. BUT it’s slow no matter what some will say 60-65mph is the KLR's maximum comfort range even geared up, IMHO.

I’d seen the Versys and was taking a look when I was offered a ride by the owner of one...if he could ride my Buell. I liked it as it seems to join the better of the two bikes I have with little of the bad. So I am trading in the Buell on the 2012 Versys in black. I’ll keep the KLR as I do go off road sometimes and like I said it’s a great bike, I ride to work about 9 months a year and it’s the ticket for that…cheap too!

OK question time. The KLR has a few known issues that had to be fixed, The Doo Hickey, Thermo Bob and suspension all had to up worked on and the wiring had to be gone over and reloomed to guard against shorts, again a known problem. We won’t go to the oil burning some have, mine hasn’t. While none were deal breakers as I knew about them going in I don’t want to get into this again.

So any known issues with the Versys I should know about. The seat, bars and grip comfort don’t worry me as they can be easily be changed if I don't like them and tires wear out. Also were do you find after market parts? I've used Twisted Throttle any other good sources?

Going to be a long weekend, I pick it up Monday after work. :p

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
#3 · (Edited)
Hey welcome to the forum and to the Versys :)

I've had my 2011 for a few months now and hang out in the forum quite a bit. Issues? hmmm... honestly can't think of any per SE.

but, I think a lot of us would agree, there are things that could be improved on without too much trouble. I went from a 46T rear sprocket to a 44T. That helped a lot and made the bike feel more like a "road bike", and less like a hyper motard.

And it certainly still has plenty of pick up.

Another thing people find is the dash area can sound kind of "buzzy" after awhile. I have that but haven't fixed it yet. Doing a search will find all the threads and fixes on that subject.

I'd say the first big decision you have to make is "how to break it in". You may have a set preference already. But I've read quite a bit about what "moto man" recommends and have also done a google search "modern engine break in" which brought up a wiki page saying a lot of the same things moto man says!

Hey it's all fun :) enjoy and good luck!

#4 ·
OK question time. The KLR has a few known issues that had to be fixed, The Doo Hickey, Thermo Bob and suspension all had to up worked on and the wiring had to be gone over and reloomed to guard against shorts, again a known problem. We won’t go to the oil burning some have, mine hasn’t. While none were deal breakers as I knew about them going in I don’t want to get into this again.

So any known issues with the Versys I should know about. The seat, bars and grip comfort don’t worry me as they can be easily be changed if I don't like them and tires wear out. Also were do you find after market parts? I've used Twisted Throttle any other good sources?
The only real issue I'm aware of is the buzz, which can probably be killed with a judicious application of foam weatherstripping under the front fairing panels. For long distance riding, you could run into issues if you want to mount both a top case and hard side cases, as the racks generally only allow one or the other, at least on the 2010+ models.

For aftermarket parts, Twisted Throttle is pretty good. Another good source is MotoWerk. Great products! If you have a 32"+ inseam, I highly recommend the lowering blocks for the footpegs. They only drop the pegs by 1", but the difference in the amount of legroom is huge. If you want a seating position closer to the KLR's (I had a Canadian 'C' model before the V), you can also add the handlebar riser. I have both the lowering pegs and the handlebar riser (not the one that dampens vibration), and the seating position is definitely closer to what I had on the KLR. These are probably the two best additions I've made to my V.

Cheers,
Dave C

#5 ·
Welcome and as already said the buzz but that can be sorted and the other thing i have a major problem with the versys is tring to wipe the very stupid smile off my face after riding a good twisty road or my friends on superior sports bikes not being able to catch me in the hills but apart from that is is a fun machine.

#6 ·
Welcome Time, well you questions will be answered in "time". :) Sorry.

20 K miles, two seasons, had to sell :( Current bike, Suzuki DR-Z S. Love it, simply can't fault it. Good luck, you can't go wrong with the Kawasaki Versys. Sorry if you have already pulled the trigger. If not, look at the used as I think you might be. This bike is so reliable, there is no need to give all that extra cash to the "stealarship" Hope this doesn't offend. Cheers TIME

#7 ·
I don't know of anything that really requires changing. I heard a lot of complaints before buying mine. I read that it was too tall so I bought a speedys lowering kit that I discovered I didn't need after riding it. I read alot of complaints about the seat but to be honest it doesn't bother me either. I came from a single cylinder BMW F650 GS which is like riding a jackhammer compared to this... I would just ride it and enjoy.

#8 ·
After a KLR NOTHING is too tall! and the seat on the KLR should have just been cause for the designer being hung.

I was just wanted to make sure there wasn't a major known problem and if so how to fix it. a Buzz I can deal with.

All I'm going to do at first is add a set of Givi 35s and a set of rear spools, so I can use my pit stand to lube the chain.

As it is I get it tomorrow and will no doubt sleep like a little kid on Christmas eve tonight! :D Of course I get to look forward to a 90+ mile ride down on the Buell and back in the Versys in low 50s at rush hour as I have to work tomorrow. :( Think I'll take the back roads on the way home as I hate learning a new bike on the main roads at 5:30.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.