Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From VA, own a Ninja 1000 and an F4i. Been looking at a Versys for a while, to commute on. Haven't been able to sit on one, but I imagine it's a little heavier than my F4i, and not as heavy as my Ninja.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does it carry its weight high - fuel weight? Oddly enough, I haven't even sat on a Versys. Checked out an FJ09, but it was too much like my Ninja, and wife won't approve 2 new bikes in the garage. Vstrom seemed pretty top heavy, and I'm 5'8".

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
it feels a little top heavy when sitting still. its the nature of a taller bike. I came to it from a zx6r and no issues but i'm 6'3" and can flat foot it with bent knees when stopped when others are tip toeing

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
From VA, own a Ninja 1000 and an F4i. Been looking at a Versys for a while, to commute on. Haven't been able to sit on one, but I imagine it's a little heavier than my F4i, and not as heavy as my Ninja.
The upright seating position is ideal for commuting. It's all day comfortable but also gives you great look around visibility in traffic as you are higher. The low RPM torque of the engine also is beneficial in traffic as you can accelerate away without having to worry too much what gear you are in.

·
Registered
929 Posts
What twowheels said. I use mine pretty much exclusively for commuting and the odd excursion, and it is a perfect bike for the task. I have had mine for 6 seasons, and have no desire to change bikes yet.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Does it carry its weight high - fuel weight? Oddly enough, I haven't even sat on a Versys. Checked out an FJ09, but it was too much like my Ninja, and wife won't approve 2 new bikes in the garage. Vstrom seemed pretty top heavy, and I'm 5'8".

What don't you like about the Ninja?

If you like the lil parallel twin, but don't care to own a tower bike, step right over this way:

Won't find a lower COG in Kawasaki's stable...

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I'm 5'10", 150#, inseam 30". I can almost flatfoot it. If I've got 20 pounds of stuff in the luggage it sits low enough so I can.

Yes it carries the weight high compared to other bikes, with the fuel being a factor. I do notice a difference between empty or full fuel for the cg. It's a big 5.5 gallon gas can sitting up on top of the frame.

But I only notice the high cg at very low speeds or when stopped. My generally poor skills at very low speed maneuvering are at fault, too.

However, my 2 previous bikes sat a lot lower so I had more leverage with my legs, which then makes it feel even more stable. So it is a combination of where the cg is and how high the seat is for your leg length.

There is a lowering kit which you might want to install. Also, there are a few seat lowering kits out there (or you can get out a knife and diy). You could easily get the bike down to where you flatfoot it with bent knees.

I like the upright seating position. It is very comfortable for me in a few ways. First, I'm 54 yrs old with a sometimes bad back. My back never hurts on the Versy like it would on a cruiser style bike. Also I am happy not to have all my weight on my hands while riding as on a sport bike. My feet are under me, like sitting on a bar stool, which makes it very easy and natural to stand on the pegs when there's a bump or rough patch in the road.

The windshield does a fine job around town. At 65+ mph there is a bit of turbulence hitting my helmet at eyebrow level. I'll probably install a Madstad windshield which is a bit taller and more effectively manages the aerodynamics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What don't you like about the Ninja?
I like everything about the Ninja, other than the suspension. I won't be getting rid of it.

I only asked about the weight of the Versys, since the tank looked a little high to me.

I'm fine with taller bikes, but if they are tall, they have to carry the weight low (for me, anyways). I was on my toes with an R6, but had no issues. I would never get lowering kits - would rather sacrifice maneuverability in parking spaces vs handling on the road. I do lower the front end of most of my bikes, just by a tad for handling.

·
Premium Member
16,145 Posts
I like everything about the Ninja, other than the suspension. I won't be getting rid of it.

I only asked about the weight of the Versys, since the tank looked a little high to me.

I'm fine with taller bikes, but if they are tall, they have to carry the weight low (for me, anyways). I was on my toes with an R6, but had no issues. I would never get lowering kits - would rather sacrifice maneuverability in parking spaces vs handling on the road. I do lower the front end of most of my bikes, just by a tad for handling.

When i lowered my Versys it improved the handling. I'm 6'2" the only reason i lowered it was because i messed up a hip and lowering it made it easier to swing the leg over. Lowered the front also but then put it back to stock much better for me that way.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
When i lowered my Versys it improved the handling.
I can't say for sure as I've never ridden one with the stock setup, but it stands to reason that bringing the COG down from the clouds couldn't hurt the handling. Mine has been lowered from jump street and except for a giant aftermarket kickstand foot, I don't have any clearance issues. And now that it's been ground down, it's not much of a problem anymore either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts