Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The instructions in registration said to post in "New Member Forum" that now appears to be "Member Introduction Forum", so here is first post. One more to go and 48 hours later I can sit at the "adult" table.

Haven't gotten to details on profile yet but I'm probably older than a lot of you. My first "bike" was a Cushman Silver Eagle. I'll post a pic of me and a pal on it about 1963-64. (once I figure out how to) I have ridden street cruisers, "scramblers", dirt bikes, 4wheelers and I own a Yamaha Rhino now.

I have decades of technical exposure, although most of the guys and shops I hung around had more knowledge and experience than I. (hence my reason for being a groupie) I have already seen from the forums that this will be the case here too. Thanks in advance for your patience and expertise.

Now, about my reasons and expectations for joining this forum. I have been searching for a motorcycle for a while. Mostly interested in a "cruiser" class bike to ride to gym and cruise countryside. That search has about resolved itself. I'll share more as it comes together.

Recently in my searching and reading I "discovered" the Versys.
WOW

After weeks of reading and seeing some for sale I decided to go to the mountaintop. I read several strings on here, many of which exceed my needs. I am convinced I was on track. Then after joining, I read the home page, which states the the Versys is a pavement bike. Therein lies the rub.

I am from the Carolina's, now spending a lot of the year in Northwest Arkansas. My countryside cruising in both areas often leads to or from a "dirt" road. At this point I don't see myself trail riding.( although I always look at the "dirt" bikes too!)

I currently cruise in a 1998 4wd Ford Expedition. I know the large cruiser I am moving into won't be ideal,or even feasible, for some of my routes. (12 miles down USFS road to The Catalpa Cafe in Ozone Arkansas for lunch), (check it out if you're ever in the area)
The deal on the cruiser may allow me to consider adding a second bike to the stable sooner than later.

So bottom line.
Not interested in much tinkering.
Saw one ad for Versys listed as "Adventure" model.
Reliability paramount. Simplicity too.

Will a stock Verysys allow me enough latitude to plan some routes with a bit more soul?

Thanks ya'll.
RKTMAN

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
learning

I first posted as a reply to Sticky's thread

does that count towards my two or do I have to post two "threads?'

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pic

I loaded the Cushman pic to my profile
So small prob not much help
If I'm interpreting rules correctly I will be able to post pic to "Bulletin board" so it will be big enough for viewing after I graduate from rookie class

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
:welcome: from another old guy - from San Antonio, TX. A Cushman was my first ride back in the very early 60s as well.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
my first bike as a 1963 Yamaha 80...old is a state of mind..and the condition of your body...my mind doesn't think I'm old..but my body begs to differ...the Versys is the perfect bike for guys like us...

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
my first bike as a 1963 Yamaha 80...old is a state of mind..and the condition of your body...my mind doesn't think I'm old..but my body begs to differ...the Versys is the perfect bike for guys like us...

:cheers:
Isn't that the truth. My mind still doesn't know what I want to be when (rather if) I ever grow up. My body however reminds me regularly that I now have an artificial hip! Still. I can ride and that's what matters to me. Forever young! :thumb:

·
Registered
111 Posts
You could always buy some dual sport tires for the versys. Just saying. It has the suspension and riding position to be ok on USFS roads, and enough power to keep you interested on the road.

·
Premium Member
16,251 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From other thread i posted in last night

Ha, no all you need for that is an older Garmin set yo "shortest distance." I've been sent off on all manner of "soulful" experiences using that...especially in West Virginia.

Now if you want to increase your odds of getting thru those and the enjoyment level of taking them in the first place, I'd say a Versys would be a far better bet than a cruiser.

Then again, filed under "different strokes for different folks":

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/forwood/bike2.shtml

This was to good for you guys to miss!
Member name "saddlebag"

·
Super Moderator
19,774 Posts
...Will a stock Verysys allow me enough latitude to plan some routes with a bit more soul?...RKTMAN
Yup....

You could always buy some dual sport tires for the versys. Just saying. It has the suspension and riding position to be ok on USFS roads, and enough power to keep you interested on the road.
Good comments. (Check my pics....), tho' I WOULD add a few other 'farkles' such as "crash-bars", etc.

:welcome:

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts