Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, just got my new 2018 Versys 650 a couple weeks ago, downsized from my 2004 ZG1000 Concours like others have done, it seems. I put a Motowerks lowering kit in and, as some of you have experienced, one of my front shocks (left side) shot up like a cannon when I attempted to make front end adjustments. So, I ordered a GPI rear and front head lift (triple tree lift) so that I could get the front end elevated and adjust the shock. Now I discovered that the front end was so low I couldn't get the head lift in under the cowling. Ultimate remedy was to take the four allen bolts out of the front fender and drop it onto the tire; then my son-in-law held the pin in the pin hole while I maneuvered the lift into place. Once in place, he let the pin drop into the lift and we put the retaining pin in it. Somehow, it all worked out. Others might have similar experiences in the future and, hopefully, they can benefit from my stumbling through the process. I highly recommend the Motowerks kit and the GPI stands, both are awesome. I also strongly recommend that when adjusting the front shocks, lift the front end first with a head lift (sure wish I would have known that before hand). FYI, I am a new member, veteran of COG (Concours Owners' Group) and this is my first post. Cheers.

Les

·
Premium Member
2015 650 Versys LT ABS
34 Posts
Pictures please.... especially the triple tree one, plus the URL where you got them as well, plus your shopping experiences -thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The URL for the GPI stands is: GPI Industries - Motorcycle Stands - Lifetime Warranty My shopping experience with them was great.. they were very responsive and shipped fast; wish I could say the same for FedEx, who was the carrier. FYI, I bought a set of factory blemished lifts and saved $50.. there was one small scratch on the surface of the powder coat on one of the lifts. The factory blemish lifts are still listed on their web-site. If you're not familiar with triple tree (aka head lift) stands, there are plenty of YouTube videos available to demonstrate their use. GPI also has directions listed on one of their web pages.

·
Registered
121 Posts
So taking the load off the shocks is required before adjusting? Is that really a thing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By adjusting, I wasn't referring to pre-load or tension adjustment, I was referring to lowering the front end by adjusting the location of the shock inside the triple tree. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. But yea, my experience was that to adjust the shock tube location inside the triple tree, much easier with the front load off.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Oh my bad totally misread that. Obviously the shock adjustments can be done without raising the front end haha.

·
Super Moderator
19,176 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
That ABBA lift is awesome. I bought a rachet-puller for $30 for lifting the front, works great off the handlebars. Havent tried the back as I have a paddock stand but with a cargo strap would work.

·
Registered
225 Posts
That ABBA lift is awesome. I bought a rachet-puller for $30 for lifting the front, works great off the handlebars. Havent tried the back as I have a paddock stand but with a cargo strap would work.
Perfect idea. I always look how to rise front tire from floor in winter, but I don't have much place for front paddock stand and read paddock stand in place where I keep motorbike, but I have a wooden beam above the motorbike so I can raise front tire, and use rear paddock stand for rear tire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts