Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Folks;

Cool forum. I am seriously thinking of purchasing a VERSYS for myself and my 20 year old son who lives in Boone, NC (best roads in the East). One bike, not two is my intention, so he can ride with me on breaks and attend rallies.

Our first planned rally is in Austin, Texas at the Republic of Texas Rally in June.

So do you all think this is a good choice for a first bike for him and a good addition for me? He is endorsed in NC and a graduate of Harley's MSF Rider's Edge course, as am I but he has no riding experience beyond that. I have owned two bikes VLX and FXDL (the one I still have). My experience is at about 62,000 miles and climbing. I am an experienced mountain rider in the east and have made the pilgrimage to Sturgis and points west last summer.

BTW: Does anyone know how to edit my AVATAR? I have set everything else up but that one is not allowing me to add/delete/update.

Thanks for having me on your site.

Go GATORS!

Ride 'em if you got 'em.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Folks;

BTW: Does anyone know how to edit my AVATAR? I have set everything else up but that one is not allowing me to add/delete/update.
Can you PM me the error message your getting when you try to upload your avatar so I can try it on my end?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
REPLY to ADMIN

admin

sent my reply by e-mail a few moments ago.

db :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What does PM mean?

admin

PM :confused::confused::confused: ???

db

·
Registered
63 Posts
admin

PM :confused::confused::confused: ???

db
Sorry bout that...

PM = Private Message... If you click on my username you'll see a dropdown that includes a link to send me a private message...

I'll take a look into this problem right now and get back to you by email when we have a fix for it. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Welcome to the forum, 75gator! As an alum of the University of Kansas, however, I regret that I must inform you that Jayhawks eat Gators . . . or at least they will in this year's NCAA Men's B-Ball Tournament. [Wow, am I ever going to regret saying that if/when the Jayhawks CHOKE like they usually do in the Big Dance!]

I've owned and ridden Harleys (Heritage Softy and Sportster 1200), a Triumph sportbike (Daytona 955i), a Honda sport tourer (VFR800 VTEC), a KLR 650 dual sport, etc. If your son can handle a basic rider's course, then I'm sure he'll be able to handle the Versys. My test ride convinced me that what all the reviews are saying is true: it's a great bike for a novice (because it is smooth, forgiving, etc.) and for an experienced rider (lots of fun to romp through the corners on twisty roads). Seems like it would be just what you're looking for. Good luck with your search!

Peace,
Elllvis

·
Registered
63 Posts
Does anyone know how to edit my AVATAR? I have set everything else up but that one is not allowing me to add/delete/update.
This should be fixed. I had uploading custom avatars disabled for some wierd reason... Let me know if anyone has any problems with this...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks for the help Admin. Its workin' now?:) :) :):p

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Elllvis

Thanks for the encouragement. I went and looked at the Versys yesterday here in Raleigh. It is a really cool bike but it seemed a bit tall for me. The sales guy seemed to want me to think I would get over that feeling and I have found that some issues on previous bikes failed to actually be issues later.

We'll see. I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Doug:

It's always tough to decide about a new bike. Not to create any pressure for you to buy the Versys . . . but did you know that Kawasaki has an OEM accessory gel seat that lowers the height by 2"? If the Versys is just "a bit tall" for you, this might make a big difference.

Looking forward to hearing what you decide . . .

Kevin McClearey
2008 Versys (delivery about ten days away!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jayhawks eat GATORS

Ellvis

AND apparently everything else in Bracketville! Congrats... happy to pass on our crown, but look out next year we were a very young team.

Gator

·
Registered
114 Posts
Buuuurp! Oh, excuse me!!!!

Thanks for understanding a Jayhawk's looooooong overdue celebration, Gator!

It was especially sweet because the 'hawks, who usually have lost in the Big Dance because they can't sink freethrowns, finally found their mojo at the line (and at a time when Memphis could toss up nothing but charity bricks).

Next year, however, I'm sure that the fog of defeat and desparation will once again roll in and leave us wandering around for another 20 years before the sun breaks through. Ah, well, at least it's shining for now . . . .

Did you decide to try out a Versys? I've got a little over 600 miles on mine and I like it better than any other motorcycle I've ever owned. It's really "unusual" looking (i.e., either bug ugly or cute - in a homely newborn moose sort of way - depending on your perspective), but it is quick, agile, smooth, comfortable and just plain fun to ride. I just got some Nelson Rigg luggage for it and I'm going to try it out as a sort of "sport touring" machine.

Hope you're having a good spring and looking forward to summer.

Go Gators!
[Which, like Jayhawks, taste sorta like chicken!]

Elllvis

1 - 12 of 12 Posts