Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,109 Posts
Well everything electrical I do for a reason, I am not a parts changer unless it is a last resort and others have screwed with the problem . So first, the original plug NGK CR9EIA-9 has a number change 6289 is the new number however the box shows both . These are resistor plugs. I checked my plugs out of the 07 Versys , they measured 4000 to 4400 ohms or 4K to 4.4K , the new ones measure 4400 to 4600 ohms . So a explanation,the resistor is to prevent noise, since there is no solid conductor the collapsing field is greatly reduced.
So two things to consider, heat will eventually cause those resistors to break down and also the incorrect air gap/ higher current lower voltage. A explanation, that air gap is designed to allow a certain voltage to arc over, too small a gap, the voltage threshold to arc over is reduced, which will cause a increase in current. Too great a gap and the voltage level may not reach the level needed to arc over. The correct gap provides the proper voltage and current to produce a spark and ignite the fuel. Just a FYI the stick coil is a step up auto transformer, current and voltage = total watts. A lower spark voltage will result in greater current which goes through that 4.4 K resistor, this is just a FYI. So I got these today at Napa Auto Parts, Total with tax in Ontario $28 Also if you plug in the Bike info at Napa it will not find these plugs. Same with Fortnine.

·
Registered
218 Posts
After every service I have some kind of new vibration about 4-5k rpm.
But usualy after 1000-1500km that vibration are gone, but this time they are still here after 5000km.
Throttle body sync done on 12 000km. Now on 18 000km (I will visit service in 2 week) I will se how will be with new air filter and with new sparkplug if service guy replace this "old", and with new tires.

Reactions: Sammy

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've heard of this problem from a few different people. My 16 seems super smooth some days and some days my right hand goes numb after 5 miles. Do the Ninja/Vulcan guys have this problem?

·
Super Moderator
19,145 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Keep it simple...……..if all they did is replace the plugs, then replace them again and see what happens.
Yes Sir. The original plugs was NGK CR9EIA9. The one sent to me by Kawasaki was CR9EIAX. I don’t know if that matters. But I’m waiting for the new order of the exact specs. Though my old plugs are here, would rather wait for the new ones. Thank You for your time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well everything electrical I do for a reason, I am not a parts changer unless it is a last resort and others have screwed with the problem . So first, the original plug NGK CR9EIA-9 has a number change 6289 is the new number however the box shows both . These are resistor plugs. I checked my plugs out of the 07 Versys , they measured 4000 to 4400 ohms or 4K to 4.4K , the new ones measure 4400 to 4600 ohms . So a explanation,the resistor is to prevent noise, since there is no solid conductor the collapsing field is greatly reduced.
So two things to consider, heat will eventually cause those resistors to break down and also the incorrect air gap/ higher current lower voltage. A explanation, that air gap is designed to allow a certain voltage to arc over, too small a gap, the voltage threshold to arc over is reduced, which will cause a increase in current. Too great a gap and the voltage level may not reach the level needed to arc over. The correct gap provides the proper voltage and current to produce a spark and ignite the fuel. Just a FYI the stick coil is a step up auto transformer, current and voltage = total watts. A lower spark voltage will result in greater current which goes through that 4.4 K resistor, this is just a FYI. So I got these today at Napa Auto Parts, Total with tax in Ontario $28 Also if you plug in the Bike info at Napa it will not find these plugs. Same with Fortnine.

View attachment 179649
Yes Sir. The original plugs was NGK CR9EIA9. The one sent to me by Kawasaki was CR9EIAX. I don’t know if that matters. But I’m waiting for the new order of the exact specs. Though my old plugs are here, would rather wait for the new ones. Thank You for your time.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
I've heard of this problem from a few different people. My 16 seems super smooth some days and some days my right hand goes numb after 5 miles. Do the Ninja/Vulcan guys have this problem?
It may run leaner under certain conditions, such as when colder outside, thus resulting in increased engine vibrations. It may also be more pronounced within particular rpm ranges... Have you tried better than regular 87 octane gasoline?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts