Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been riding on and off for about 10 years now. Mostly cruisers (I was afraid of what I might do if I got something I could get the front wheel off the ground on). I feel like I MIGHT have finally matured enough so I went out a couple of weekends ago and bought a "Supergreen" 2009 Versys.

So far I am in love. Really fun on the twisty roads here on the Northern California/Southern Oregon coastline. I've put almost 500 miles on it since I picked it up on the 4th of July weekend. It's my daily commuter and attitude adjustment tool.

Only complaint I have is that there's an annoying rattle/buzz from the front fairing at about 4K RPM. It's really loud from the riding position with my helmet on. Not sure if it's a normal sound or not as I have yet to see anyone else on a Versys in my area.

Having a blast none the less so far!

OK, I'm going to do some searching now - found the forum looking for something to keep my hands from getting so cold on the morning ride in - it's usually foggy and in the low 50's and my hands get pretty cold at highway speeds. I see that some of you have added hand guards... Very sweet!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Welcome on board!

Handguards are great when it's chilly, they also keep that stray stone from making you shake your hand and cuss. I put some KTM's on and like them a lot. No bling, but inexpensive and fit like they were made for the bike.('09 green here, too)

Where are you in Oregon? Spent some time in Portland a while back, nice place, but kind of wet.

V-Zee

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620
QUOTE: "Only complaint I have is that there's an annoying rattle/buzz from the front fairing at about 4K RPM. It's really loud from the riding position with my helmet on. Not sure if it's a normal sound or not as I have yet to see anyone else on a Versys in my area."

VP, I think you will find you answer in the lengthy thread above. It's an easy fix.:goodluck::cheers:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
welcome and get the buzz before it gets you
I followed the advise on the forum and put quite a bit of foam tape on the two side panels. What a huge difference! Still a very slight rattle (couldn't get the two plastic pop rivets out to get at that tab above the headlight). SO much nicer to ride now!

I can tell I'm gonna love this forum...

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I followed the advise on the forum and put quite a bit of foam tape on the two side panels. What a huge difference! Still a very slight rattle (couldn't get the two plastic pop rivets out to get at that tab above the headlight). SO much nicer to ride now!

I can tell I'm gonna love this forum...
You push the center pin in to remove those. Search the frame crack threads and add spacers to the motor mount tabs. That should be done ASAP. Consider going up one tooth (from 15 to 16) on the front sprocket. Calms the revs down on the highway and you don't have to shift mid- intersection. This is a reliable fun bike with a couple of minor problems ( well, the cracking tabs are serious) and it is supremely fun and easy to ride as you are finding out. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Welcome VP. Here's to many miles on the green Vs!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where are you in Oregon? Spent some time in Portland a while back, nice place, but kind of wet.

V-Zee
I'm in a little town called Brookings on the Oregon side of the border with California. It's a coastal town where the Chetco River spills into the Ocean. Some of the best touring roads in the world are here (IMHO). It almost never freezes here, so it's referred to as the "bananna belt" of Oregon. Not a single MC shop within 100 miles though... Gonna be doing most of my own maintenance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
'09 Green here. Yes, "the buzz" is normal but there is an easy fix. Low 50's is cold? What the hell? :welcome::clap::goodluck:
I'm on the coast and 10 miles in either direction of my home town and it's foggy and 52 degrees at 7:00 in the morning. By 2:00 it's in the mid 70's. In Brookings (where I live) it's 10 degrees warmer all of the time because of the "Chetco Effect" (the river pulls in the heat from the Medford Oregon area). Riding in town is perfect, but going to work in California it gets friggn cold.

Solved the problem with some $90.00 armored gloves though. No more cold fingers or thwacked knuckles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Frame cracking issue

Search the frame crack threads and add spacers to the motor mount tabs. That should be done ASAP....
YIKES! Ummm, OK. Trying not to freak out now...

OK, so I put a 10mm socket on those bolts on the right side and sure enough - BIG gap. Put 2 washers worth of space on the right (4 total for the 2 bolts) and then checked the left.. Nearly the same amount of space, but couldn't quite fit 2 washers thickness in there without tapping with the rubber mallet, so I just put 1 on each bolt and tightened everything back down to 27 foot pounds.

Long story short - fixed with 6 stainless steel washers and maybe 15 minutes of easy labor.

You all are AWESOME!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.