Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you have to rough up new motorcycle tires but my new boots scared the bejeezus out of me! The soles of these things are SLIPPERY as heck. Just about dropped the bike backing it out of the garage.

Looks like I'll be needing to bump my shift lever a few splines. Have to search around here to see how to do that.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I know you have to rough up new motorcycle tires but my new boots scared the bejeezus out of me! The soles of these things are SLIPPERY as heck. Just about dropped the bike backing it out of the garage.
Those look more like MX boots.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These are Enduro/dual sport boots. Plan on using them with the versys as well as my drz400. Trying to find a happy middle zone between street and dirt. These seem comfortable enough for street cruising with enough protection for light off-road.

·
Premium Member
7,849 Posts

Looks like I'll be needing to bump my shift lever a few splines. Have to search around here to see how to do that.

Looks good...try roughing the sole with some abrasive material to get the desired grip..:goodluck:

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Did you step on some oil?

Just picked up a pair of Doc Martin boots at half price on Amazon. I was looking for a pair of riding shoes I could wear off the bike but that would also provide some basic protection for city commuting. In reality they are as protective as most riding shoes from the big manufacturers, which is to say they will provide some basic abrasion protection for the ankle bone, heal and toe and not come off, but obviously not as protective as a real riding boot like the Alpine Star boots of the OP.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you step on some oil?

Just picked up a pair of Doc Martin boots at half price on Amazon. I was looking for a pair of riding shoes I could wear off the bike but that would also provide some basic protection for city commuting. In reality they are as protective as most riding shoes from the big manufacturers, which is to say they will provide some basic abrasion protection for the ankle bone, heal and toe and not come off, but obviously not as protective as a real riding boot like the Alpine Star boots of the OP.

Dry pavement. I think there's some kind of mold release or maybe it's just a really hard compound. Probably be a little better if I could completely flat foot as well.

·
Premium Member
16,191 Posts
I had a pair of AlpineStar Fast-Something ?? riding boot/shoe..The soles were very slick on pavement. My foot was always slipping. So i tossed them and got a pair of TCX boot/shoe. I had Sidi Doha's before the AlpineStars and they gripped like glue. On my second set of TCX and no issue's with slipping....

·
Registered
445 Posts

Just loosen the two little nuts on either end of the shifter linkage. Then turn the barrel of the linkage in whatever direction your need to get the change you want. I had to do the same thing when I bought new boots and/or made my shifter peg larger and longer. If I can do it, anybody can do it.:smile2:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Just loosen the two little nuts on either end of the shifter linkage. Then turn the barrel of the linkage in whatever direction your need to get the change you want. I had to do the same thing when I bought new boots and/or made my shifter peg larger and longer. If I can do it, anybody can do it.:smile2:
Thanks for the info. I checked YouTube and saw a guy do it on another bike and realized I don't need to rotate the lever on the splines. Always nice to find out something is EASIER than expected for once!

Appreciate the info none the less.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:
After wearing the boots for a while they have lost their slippery feel on dry pavement. Very comfortable boots. A little tight spot on the narrow part of the right foot, feels like it will hash itself out with wear, probably just my foot shape.

Zeroing in on shift lever position. Couldn't get the boot under it to start with. Small adjustment got boot under but had to consciously point my toe down to allow the shift lever to go fully down. Over adjusted and had to lift my foot up off the foot rest to shift. Looking for the Goldilocks position.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts