Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me the adventure bike category is split into two distinct sub categories. Adventure bikes like the Triumph Tiger XC and BMW 800 GS that want to be enduro/tour bikes, and adventure bikes like the Multistrada and Versys that want to be sport/tour bikes.

The new BMW S 1000 XR is perhaps recognition by BMW that they also need an adv/sport bike as well as their existing adv/enduro bikes. The BMW S 1000 XR is based on the successful S 1000 RR sport bike. Basically BMW did to the S 1000 RR what Kawasaki did to the Ninja 650 to get the Versys, and got the S 1000 XR.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Hm-m-m....

For me, it raises that OLD question...

WHY???

:rolleyes:
Um, because they can make almost anything they want, and because their good German research tells them there are enough people willing to part with, perhaps, $18 - $20K to make it worth while. Something like offering a new squeaky toy to a puppy. :D

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
because there's a market for 1000cc adventure styled motorcycles...Versys 1000 anyone?? because the BMW was asked for it by their customer base...I would love as someone mention..if I had the 20k to buy it and the money to fix it up after I tried off roading it...ALSO BMW has been trying to dump the old boxer design for years..but the loyal fan base won't let them...I see this bike as another chip in that base for BMW...
I love BMW bikes and own a 1983 R80 RT (I had a 2001 BMW 525iat also)..but you couldn't force me to buy a newer one...just read the "fault" postings and what they'll cost you and you'll run for the hills too...

:cheers:

·
Super Moderator
1,484 Posts
BMW took the Boxer ADV Bike and turned it into a Tourer Enduro with the H2

This is a Dual Sport Bike... Something a 6'4" fatass like me could ride.

I like it :)

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
I like it. Personally I think that 90% of the people ride their bike on the road 90% of the time anyways, but being able to confidently hit the dirt roads and trails is a nice option.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
All "adventure" bikes share two things in common, possibly three. An upright (enduro) type seating position which is comfortable on longer rides. Longer travel suspension although the length of travel will vary with the off pavement pretensions of the bike and thirdly an engine that has some low/mid range omph. I don't think off road and adventure are synonymous though - Kawasaki does not market the Versys as an off road bike but rather as an "all rounder".

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I definitely like it and would love one(just dont want to pay for it). 90% of "adventure" bikes never leave the pavement, and the ones that do, spend most of their time of dirt roads.
This bike to me is like a Verseys on steroids. It is a street bike that was modified to be more comfy(kinda like how the Ninja 650 was modified to a V). I dont plan on ever off roading, but I prefer the upright seating and styling.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The Versys carries it's weight fairly high. In my experience 50 more pounds would be barely perceptible especially if the weight is carried lower. As an example I've ridden the new 1200 GS and it does not really feel noticeably heavier than the Versys although it carries an extra 70lbs. An FJR on the other hand feels massive after riding the Versys.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The Versys carries it's weight fairly high. In my experience 50 more pounds would be barely perceptible especially if the weight is carried lower. As an example I've ridden the new 1200 GS and it does not really feel noticeably heavier than the Versys although it carries an extra 70lbs. An FJR on the other hand feels massive after riding the Versys.
Perceptions a funny thing. I've ridden a couple newer R12GS's (not the water cooled) and felt the opposite - seemed long, tall and top heavy - especially compared to the V - every bit the 70lbs heavier. My old weestrom gave that same impression and it only weighed +25# , but seemed like a lot more.

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
The ONLY GS1200 I rode was on my "blitz" before I got Versys #1 back in '08, along w/ the GS800, GS700, and V-strom.

SOMEHOW the V stuck in my mind as the best, so I bought TWO (over two years...).

·
Registered
130 Posts
I kind of like it. I have thought about upgrading to something bigger, but the price tags of these new bikes are steering me away from them.

I really like BMW's, but their price is up there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts