Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up coolest, most beautiful riders there ever was or will be,

I just picked up a brand new 2023 Versys 650 this week. This is my second bike, first being a 2007 Ninja 650R, though only because my girlfriend at the time was 5'4" and the Versys was too tall for her, we were both new to riding. I sold that in 2012 when I moved from the Bay Area, CA to the Northeast and now finally got to a place(location, time, financial) where I can ride again.

For the foreseeable future I have only one thing on the agenda: riding to places I can hike, then adding backpacking and camping in the Spring. I plan to do videos of this, starting with an initial review of the bike once I get the equipment sorted because I'd like to see more content from owner/operators, rather than websites and dealers narrating specs and ambiguous opinions.

Here's some obligatory pictures I just took to have something to show. For anyone interested in numbers, you can see the invoice. The dealer initially had $698 A.D.M. on the bike listed in the shop, but not online. I started the negotiation asking if there was anything they could do about that since I was planning on buying ~$2,000 in accessories. The radiator guard was out of stock and I decided to skip the large windscreen because the bike has a windscreen and I was a little peeved they even attempt to charge A.D.M. But, considering the availability of these bikes right now, I would have paid it rather than searching for another one, since the dealership I went to was 45 miles away(had to Uber $80 to pick up the bike) and the next closest place was 150+ miles in the other direction. I would have got the accessories from the dealership 8 miles from my house though.

This bike is everything I imagined it to be in 2007 and more, with all the improvements/upgrades since. The top case, frame sliders, rear spools and Kawasaki USB port are on order. $140 for a USB port is ridiculous but I haven't seen a single review or mention of it anywhere, so curiosity is costing me about a hundred bucks. It also appears that it might be the only thing that will easily fit in the right side accessory slot as it's a 3" upside down monopoly house shape, which I didn't know till I saw the bike in person. I was wondering why the socket kit looked like it did since everything else looks like circles.

Attachments

Registered
The USB port is crazy priced, I chose to pay for the official part as it fits the hole on my '22.
I haven't tried it other than having confirmed it worked.
It is a single USB plug, the advantage is that you can store a cord under the cover.
Part of the added cost is the accessory relay that is included. Edit: I guess it is different here in Canada with what I was quoted.
As a point of interest, I was told it is the same USB plug assembly used on the watercraft.

The frame sliders are also expensive and I haven't tried them....yet. (-;
They are beefier than I imagined.

Rear spools, I just used black generic 8mm ones, a top box is not among my planned accessories at this point.

Happy new bike!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Appreciate it everyone. Rode 4 hours today and only managed 100 miles for the break in. Keeping the RPMs down in the traffic light jungle is a tedious process. On some mildly twisty open road I ended up behind a group of Harleys and they were slowing down in turns. Cruisers are a different culture.

Welcome to the forum, very nice looking bike tho a little too clean, you'll have to work on that :)
Should I hold off on front/rear fenders extenders to make sure it looks like it's getting ridden? :D

I think the black looks really nice!
I'm not fond of black because it loves the sun more than lighter colors, but I would have taken any color it came in. Strictly from a looks perspective, it's hard to beat black on black. I can't complain.

The USB port is crazy priced, I chose to pay for the official part as it fits the hole on my '22.
I haven't tried it other than having confirmed it worked.
It is a single USB plug, the advantage is that you can store a cord under the cover.
Part of the added cost is the accessory relay that is included. Edit: I guess it is different here in Canada with what I was quoted.
As a point of interest, I was told it is the same USB plug assembly used on the watercraft.

The frame sliders are also expensive and I haven't tried them....yet. (-;
They are beefier than I imagined.

Rear spools, I just used black generic 8mm ones, a top box is not among my planned accessories at this point.

Happy new bike!
I think storing a cord with the USB port is actually a pretty big advantage. One less thing to think about or forget, so you can get on the road faster. I'm also curious if I can find adapters that will fit inside to expand the single port. With the GoPro and accessories, I'll be using it quite a bit.

Even with 3 cases, I'll still be strapping a 60 or 80 liter backpacking pack with a tent, sleeping bag and pad. I'm an Eagle Scout and this bike is going to end up resembling, "Be Prepared."

Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
Should I hold off on front/rear fenders extenders to make sure it looks like it's getting ridden? :D
(y)
I got my 2019 used and that was one of the first things I put on, Kinda like I don't understand people here in Texas where I live not having window tint on their cars let alone cars over 20 years old, newer cars are coming with it already installed.

Registered
Stull no Versys but: Suzuki V-Strom 1000, Vespa P200E, Vespa PK50 XL Automatica, Vespa Sfera
Nice!!! But it's the 2022 version... 2023 is only in metallic smoke gold and candy lime green. (currently waiting on my metallic smoke gold version which only is being delivered from january)

Registered
Nice!!! But it's the 2022 version... 2023 is only in metallic smoke gold and candy lime green. (currently waiting on my metallic smoke gold version which only is being delivered from january)
Kawasaki plays different color games with different locales, for 2022 some countries got 3 different choices silver, green and black, here in Canada we only got the LT in green or black, right next door in the US they got the base version in green or black and the LT only in black. I guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't be surprised if black is carried over for 2023 some places.
Anyway happy new bike when yours arrives.
BTW any idea of the changes for '23 other than the new colour?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In the U.S. there's only one model for 2023, LT, and it only comes in black, or Metallic Spark Black/Metallic Flat Spark Black if we're being technical. I posted the VIN, it's on the invoice pictured. Model year "P" refers to 2023, whereas "N" was 2022 and "R" will be 2024. Just food for thought.

You're going to love this bike. I rode 6 hours yesterday, approximately 190 miles. I was in the saddle for over 4.5 hours before I had to stop for gas, because I didn't fill up before heading out, thankfully. Who knows where I would have ended up in another 50-100 miles, not using GPS right now, just trying to break it in. I did, however, end up in the mountains where I saw snow sitting on the ground midday for the first time in years. The "Icy" signs should have tipped me off that I was going in the wrong direction, except I didn't care, I had no where to be but riding.

Tire Wheel Font Vehicle Screenshot

Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300 (non ABS)
In the U.S. there's only one model for 2023, LT, and it only comes in black, or Metallic Spark Black/Metallic Flat Spark Black if we're being technical. I posted the VIN, it's on the invoice pictured. Model year "P" refers to 2023, whereas "N" was 2022 and "R" will be 2024. Just food for thought.

You're going to love this bike. I rode 6 hours yesterday, approximately 190 miles. I was in the saddle for over 4.5 hours before I had to stop for gas, because I didn't fill up before heading out, thankfully. Who knows where I would have ended up in another 50-100 miles, not using GPS right now, just trying to break it in. I did, however, end up in the mountains where I saw snow sitting on the ground midday for the first time in years. The "Icy" signs should have tipped me off that I was going in the wrong direction, except I didn't care, I had no where to be but riding.

View attachment 191342
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there 馃憤馃徎馃槈

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What the f... In Europe you can get this as a Grand Tour Plus edition with all the parts I'm ordering plus heated grips and the fog lights. America needs to step it up. Too many cowboys on Gixxers and chrome cruisers here. I mean, come on... It's too sexy for my shirt.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Fuel tank

If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there 馃憤馃徎馃槈
I knew exactly where I was going. Home, but I was taking the longerest way to get there. :D

Registered
Stull no Versys but: Suzuki V-Strom 1000, Vespa P200E, Vespa PK50 XL Automatica, Vespa Sfera
That's the color I ordered and added USB charging point, handguards, centre stand, GPS Mount, Tankring (for my sw motech tankbag which I also used on my vstrom), tankpad and a SW Motech Traxx carrying system for my side Traxx side cases (I also used them on my V-strom).
p.s. I do not like the big fog lights and I really hate the beautycases on the back of the bike (They also ruin the handling imho)

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts