Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I'm Jason, from the Washington, D.C. area, currently living in Alexandria, VA.

I'm 28 - have been one of those doggone cyclists in tights for most of my life but also ride a mountain bike. Always wanted to get my motorcycle license and just did.

Seeing this reddit post about six months back inspired me and a friend to get our licenses: Got divorced, lost my job, so me and my buddy got on our motorcycles and rode North to the Alaskan Arctic until the road ran out. - Album on Imgur

We plan to ride into Alaska from the states sometime in 2017.

I don't have a bike yet, but plan to buy in the coming year. Probably Kawasaki Versys, but also looking at Triumph Tiger.

As it's my first bike, want to get something of good quality but under $5,000, probably used.

Nice to meet you all!,
Jason

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hi Jason and welcome to the forum. Test ride everything you are interested in to see how things fit you. Let us know what you decide when you decide. In the meantime there are some very knowledgeable people here who can help with any questions you may have.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hey Jason, congrats and welcome.

I also live DC and would be willing to let you ride my Versys 650. I have shop space just north of Old Town where I store a few motorcycles; we could meet there, grab some bikes and go for a cruise.

One of my shop mates actually has a Triumph Tiger that he rode from LA to Alaska and back. He really seems to like it, but unfortunately A) it's not my bike and B) its not stored at the shop, so I couldn't let you test drive it...

Shoot me a PM with your contact info if you're interested in going for a ride or even if you just want grab a beer and talk bikes.

-Pete

Reactions: Jim Nazium

·
Super Moderator
19,138 Posts
Jason, :welcome: aboard!

FWIW - I wrote up a few "Far N" rides (look under my signature line for links), on my V, and other bikes...!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hello all!

I'm 28 - have been one of those doggone cyclists in tights for most of my life but also ride a mountain bike. Always wanted to get my motorcycle license and just did.

Seeing this reddit post about six months back inspired me and a friend to get our licenses: Got divorced, lost my job, so me and my buddy got on our motorcycles and rode North to the Alaskan Arctic until the road ran out. - Album on Imgur

I don't have a bike yet, but plan to buy in the coming year. Probably Kawasaki Versys, but also looking at Triumph Tiger.

As it's my first bike, want to get something of good quality but under $5,000, probably used.

Nice to meet you all!,
Jason
That looks like a pretty inspirational ride. I can't believe there's light at 1am or the sun never sets. I can't imagine what it would be like to ride this

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
with the sunlight issue I think I would have to make a black-out tarp for my hammock tent for that trip so I could sleep.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Welcome Jason from a one-time Alexandria resident. Lived just off King Street when my USAF wife was assigned to the Joint Staff @ the Pentagon in the late 1990s. Discovered in short order that the best way to get around was by bicycle - great bike paths throughout the area.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Hello all!

Nice to meet you all!,
Jason
It would be a great ride for sure. If you need any advice or suggestions there are plenty of members here that are more than willing to help you out. AND once you get up here to Alaska I'd be happy to offer my help as well. Keep us posted on what you decide.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Jason, congrats and welcome.

I also live DC and would be willing to let you ride my Versys 650. I have shop space just north of Old Town where I store a few motorcycles; we could meet there, grab some bikes and go for a cruise.

One of my shop mates actually has a Triumph Tiger that he rode from LA to Alaska and back. He really seems to like it, but unfortunately A) it's not my bike and B) its not stored at the shop, so I couldn't let you test drive it...

Shoot me a PM with your contact info if you're interested in going for a ride or even if you just want grab a beer and talk bikes.

-Pete
Thanks Pete! I'll PM you.

Jason, :welcome: aboard!

FWIW - I wrote up a few "Far N" rides (look under my signature line for links), on my V, and other bikes...!
I checked them out, they look great trips. Thanks for sharing! I'll let you know what route we eventually decide on.

That looks like a pretty inspirational ride. I can't believe there's light at 1am or the sun never sets. I can't imagine what it would be like to ride this
with the sunlight issue I think I would have to make a black-out tarp for my hammock tent for that trip so I could sleep.
I hadn't thought about that. I will now.

Welcome Jason from a one-time Alexandria resident. Lived just off King Street when my USAF wife was assigned to the Joint Staff @ the Pentagon in the late 1990s. Discovered in short order that the best way to get around was by bicycle - great bike paths throughout the area.
Did you ever ride the W&OD? Great path. Also, riding through DC at night during 4th of July when all of the streets are shut down is great too.

It would be a great ride for sure. If you need any advice or suggestions there are plenty of members here that are more than willing to help you out. AND once you get up here to Alaska I'd be happy to offer my help as well. Keep us posted on what you decide.
Thanks Jeff! I'll keep you posted.

·
Super Moderator
19,138 Posts
It IS pretty bright up there, around the equinox. This is a pic from around mid-night.

I've not had any problems - I'm usually pretty tired, but you could use those eye-covers that some airline passengers wear....

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I've not had any problems - I'm usually pretty tired, but you could use those eye-covers that some airline passengers wear....
I've slept with a beanie over my eyes in the army, but not when its too warm. I've got a roll of the same material the army's personal tents are made out of. camo on the outside and black on the inside. block the light quiet well, I just have to stitch it into a tarp.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts