Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening

Pretty new owner of a lightly used 2015 Versys 650 LT with about 12K miles on it.

I actually just traded in my 2017 Africa Twin for it, as I was looking for something a bit more economical but still fun, and it was really between a versys and a strom for me.

I probably sound a little crazy for getting rid of the AT, but as I was using that bike more as a sport touring bike anyway (too much fragile plastic for me to risk riding it hard offroad-I could afford the payments but not the potential crash repairs), I wanted something a bit simpler (easier to work on), with a little longer range, tubeless tires, something with ABS, and I wanted something a little cheaper (to both insure and maintain) . I had just shy of 16000 on my Africa Twin, and I've racked up a ton of miles on KLR's (including an Alaska trip a few years ago)

So far I've really only ridden the bike for work, though I'm hoping to change that in the coming weeks.

Looking forward to learning more about my new traveling companion - appreciate all I've been able to learn about this bike so far!

·
Premium Member
16,186 Posts
:welcome:

·
Registered
308 Posts
I was waiting for my dealer to get one in-just had to see it-walked in one day and there it was- as I got closer I was thinking this thing looks great-tried to swing a leg over and got my foot caught in the grab rail-needed help getting my foot out and me off the bike-after that I just kept walking-it's not for me-now with that being said when Honda announced the A-T there was to be two versions-the one we have now and a sportier street version with lower seat height and tubeless mag wheel-never heard any more about it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the support :)

the AT was a great bike don't get me wrong, but after owning it for a year, was just kinda overkill for what I use it for - the versys seems like it'll do 99% of what I asked the AT to do and will do it just as well or better, and cheaper. Time will tell of course.

That said, I would like to get my Versys a little more dialed in for gravel/unimproved roads (arguably even main roads in the Detroit area haha)

Definitely need a skid plate for it, and down the road thinking about a higher exhaust if one is available.

Also going to be ordering peg lowering brackets, but what about the pegs themselves ?

Is a taller seat available for this bike ? I plan on scouring the forums here a bit- I see the info on the raising brackets, but thinking I might want to make the seat a bit more dual sport ish to give me a little room to scoot back at times.

One thing I do notice about my "v" so far, it seems like it chugs at idle a bit, and the fuel gauge reads lower at idle but then when I start riding it perks right up to normal - need to check this site for that too :)

Also- wtf on the key's kawi ? - first time fueling this bike up (only one key) and like many have posted it bent! 2 spares are on order now.... first thing I ordered for this bike..

Looking forward to many new adventures - have one already in mind for my next bit of vacation time around the 4th.

·
Super Moderator
19,423 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for the support :)

Also- wtf on the key's kawi ? - first time fueling this bike up (only one key) and like many have posted it bent! 2 spares are on order now.... first thing I ordered for this bike..
You really have to press down on the gas cap to get the key to turn easy. Both for opening and closing.

·
Super Moderator
19,423 Posts
You really have to press down on the gas cap to get the key to turn easy. Both for opening and closing.
You really have to REALLY press down HARD on the gas cap to get the key to turn easy. (And when it gets hard to turn again, later on, I spray some silicone spray into the lock.)

:goodluck:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts