Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

The versys is my second bike after an ex500.

It's my first new bike. It won out against a v-strom or interceptor, all excellent bikes.

Experience so far:
- The break in period! Keeping it below 4000rpm specified in the manual limits me to around 80kmh/50mph.
- 0 lean angle = more weight on my rear.

This is a big increase in height / center of gravity over my sports bike.
- Makes turning at speed interesting.
- My passenger has no idea how to get on something so tall

Now I need to find some good hard luggage.

·
Registered
805 Posts
:welcome: Don't believe the break in period. Ride it like you plan to ride it maybe even a little harder. Just keep it off the limiter. It really is the best thing for the motor, and some would say critical for the first 50 miles or so. You will not hurt the motor by running it hard. The idea is to seat the rings and keep the compression high.

·
Premium Member
16,187 Posts
:welcome:

·
Super Moderator
19,423 Posts
Sweet. I saw that site but figured I couldn't trust any random person on the internet.

It seems like my first order of business is finding some more oil and a filter!
I have TWO Vs - a 2008 in AZ and a 2009 in Kelowna. BOTH were 'broken-in' on the ride home from the dealer (as per 'Motoman'), then they had the first oil-change. The '08 has 51,xxx miles, the '09 has 40,xxx kms. NEITHER uses oil or has any problems!

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Hi Everyone,

The versys is my second bike after an ex500.

It's my first new bike. It won out against a v-strom or interceptor, all excellent bikes.

Experience so far:
- The break in period! Keeping it below 4000rpm specified in the manual limits me to around 80kmh/50mph.
- 0 lean angle = more weight on my rear.

This is a big increase in height / center of gravity over my sports bike.
- Makes turning at speed interesting.
- My passenger has no idea how to get on something so tall

Now I need to find some good hard luggage.
Welcome! Owned a Ninja 500 previously as well. Suggest SW-Motech engine bars, they'll pay for themselves the first time or two you drop the bike and it's easier to drop a tall bike. SW-Motech aluminum rear rack is better than Givi rear rack and much lighter as it replaces the heavy grab handles. AViciousCycle.ca is a good source for accessories in Canada. After market touring wind shield (Givi?) is nice if you do many highway miles or ride in cooler weather. Givi top box is nice accessory (and a lot cheaper than side bags) and also functions as a passenger back rest which will make your passenger feel a lot more secure on the bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts