Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300 (non ABS)
1,234 Posts
I had a CRF250L a couple of years ago. It was better for tricky off-road stuff ... but I do very little of that. I like my versys 300 much better on the road, and about the same on gravel/easy roads. Key for me is that my wife enjoys the seating arrangement on the versys, and rides with me much more often -- even more with the corbin seat (i bought used).

Lots of good advice here ... different things to do depending on how you ride. I am very pleased with stock gearing ... some want 15t front for more highway use, but I haven't had the need for that yet (and with a lot of 2up, I like the stock 14/46. Seat was the mod I apprecaite most often -- but the crash bars, skid plate, rear top box and phone mount really add up to a fun bike. Heidenau k60s do great on mild dirt/gravel roads, and pretty good on the pavement -- plenty good for me.

Good luck - enjoy !

· Registered
2021 Versys X300, black/grey, stock, OEM hard cases, centre stand, hand guards,givi crash bars.
40 Posts
Cheers, on your new ride Sir.
This is my first season on the 300X. And the more I ride the more I like it.
Much more capable on the highway than I expected, with the added bonus of spinning around in the gravel.
Stock gearing seems just right for my needs, short power wheelies are on tap in first and second, and yet still able to attain a stupid top end velocity.
As for accessories, may I recommend the center stand first, as it is by far the most useful bit, if only for chain service and oil checks. My bike was a new leftover from the previous year, and came with the Kawasaki hard cases to sweeten the deal. They have proved very useful in the ability to fetch a few things from the store, and sneak in extra saddle time, or as some of us call, “wind therapy “
All the best.

· Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300 (non ABS)
1,234 Posts
Cheers, on your new ride Sir.
This is my first season on the 300X. And the more I ride the more I like it.
Much more capable on the highway than I expected, with the added bonus of spinning around in the gravel.
Stock gearing seems just right for my needs, short power wheelies are on tap in first and second, and yet still able to attain a stupid top end velocity.
As for accessories, may I recommend the center stand first, as it is by far the most useful bit, if only for chain service and oil checks. My bike was a new leftover from the previous year, and came with the Kawasaki hard cases to sweeten the deal. They have proved very useful in the ability to fetch a few things from the store, and sneak in extra saddle time, or as some of us call, “wind therapy “
All the best.
100% agree with @Teddy on the center stand. It's so much a part of the bike now, that I don't think of it as an extra. I'm a little OCD on chan maintenance, maybe somewhat because the center stand makes it so easy. (Not to mention how easy it was to put on new sprockets and chain).

· Registered
Vx300 14/43: Urban Assault Vehicle
997 Posts
Welcome! Accessories?
Center stand most useful
Crash bars saved my fairing
Hand guards, first bike I’ve had with them. I do a good bit on the freeway and extended season riding for Michigan. They’re a big help! I’m using the Kawasaki ones. I’m a bit leery of the metal ones personally. Looks like a good way to break your hand/wrist to me? But I don’t use them. So what do I know?

· Registered
2021 Versys X300, black/grey, stock, OEM hard cases, centre stand, hand guards,givi crash bars.
40 Posts
Welcome! Accessories?
Center stand most useful
Crash bars saved my fairing
Hand guards, first bike I’ve had with them. I do a good bit on the freeway and extended season riding for Michigan. They’re a big help! I’m using the Kawasaki ones. I’m a bit leery of the metal ones personally. Looks like a good way to break your hand/wrist to me? But I don’t use them. So what do I know?
Excuse me Itsgordo,
I just picked up the OEM hand guards and have a small question.
On the clutch side of the guards install, does the lock wheel for the cable adjuster tighten against the surface of the hand guard material as I have done, or does it somehow install underneath the guard?
Anyway, they seem to reduce the cold wind quite a bit, and will reduce the bug and gravel hits.
A good buy, even if they do resemble Shrek ears on my X300.

· Registered
997 Posts
Excuse me Itsgordo,
I just picked up the OEM hand guards and have a small question.
They were mounted when I bought the bike from previous owner. Here’s what I have. It may be worth noting that my clutch cable lost its position recently and had to be readjusted/tightened-14k miles later. I snugged them up by hand and loosened up again a week later. Guess I need to look at this closer, maybe use some pliers. In any case, this is what I have.
Land vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle

· Registered
997 Posts
Perhaps cut a slot in a washer to go between the locking screw and the hand guard? I think it may have vibrated its way into the plastic hand guard enough to loosen itself up over the 14k miles that I’ve rode it. 2k was on the meter when purchased. Not sure if Kawasaki installed at time of purchase or user add on later. I might try slipping in a washer, which should help.

· Registered
40 Posts
Perhaps cut a slot in a washer to go between the locking screw and the hand guard? I think it may have vibrated its way into the plastic hand guard enough to loosen itself up over the 14k miles that I’ve rode it. 2k was on the meter when purchased. Not sure if Kawasaki installed at time of purchase or user add on later. I might try slipping in a washer, which should help.
Many thanks for the reply,
Your guard appears cut out to accommodate the wheel somewhat, while mine is squarely against the plastic of the guard with a small slot for the cable.
Thinking if I cut any material away, it could affect the rigidity of the guard and possibly flop in the wind.
Probably your split washer idea is the best way to go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts