Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So sad to hear of the passing of Neil Peart of rock band Rush . Neil was an incredible drummer and song writer. After the death of his daughter and wife in close succession, Neil turned to motorcycle riding to help with his pain.If you are curious about Neil, Google him, he was an amazing man.

“When I’m riding my motorcycle, I’m glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I’m glad to be alive.”

·
Registered
635 Posts
One of the most revered progressive rock drummers all-time for good reason. Not a meat and potatoes drummer but a hard hitting rhythmatist, an unorthodox, explosive rock drummer with "bebop" chops. Rush was built on his playing style and he also wrote the lyrics in Rush. The band was 3 high school best friends that did everything their way, no music biz. B.S. Poor guy suffered some awful family losses years ago and solitary motorcycling saved him. Wrote a few books about his journeys and how he coped with the pain. He came back to the band after years away riding and searching and toured with Rush again, usually riding his BMW 1200 between shows. If the weather was bad the bike had its own truck on the road. Also had his own BMW mechanic and riding partner out on tour with him. That is how you do BMW riding Rock-star style! Retired from playing a while ago as he couldn't maintain his powerful drumming technique, very physically demanding. Rush and its fans around the world have lost their heart and soul.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Imagine being Neils drum tech/roadie,setting all this stuff up every show?! I heard Neal say in an interview that his drumming style was never dictated by how a rock drummer was supposed to play for the band to get broad acceptance and that type of thinking for him was never allowed to tarnish what he wanted to do, what they were after. Only other guy I can think on his level in "Rock" would be Bill Bruford, all respect to the many rock and roll traditional slammers. This attitude, making their fans have to stretch themselves musically was the basis of Rush music really, they did it their way and built their following all on their own. All the way to playing stadiums, they never really needed radio but got it anyways. I know the other guys in the band had talked of carrying on with a different drummer a few years ago when Neil retired to writing but Rush without him.... hard to picture.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts