Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question. Do I need to clean/lube the chain every time I wash the bike? Or should I just focus on the mileage? I remember from my cycling days, that if the chain had gotten really wet, it should be relubed, but I know that motorcycles are a whole different animal.

I washed my V this weekend pretty thoroughly and checked the chain this morning and it still looks "wet" so I'm assuming the lube is still good right? I'm using Motul Road lube.

First motorcycle owner here so I'm still figuring out all this stuff! Thanks!

·
Registered
739 Posts
I would say yes to lubing it, or at least shortly after.

I'm a long-time shafty, so I learned my chain lubing from this forum. Several guys mention that they lube their chain about every 400 miles, or after a good rain storm. Perhaps it is overkill, but lubing the chain is cheap and easy, so I tend to err on the side of caution.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I lube my chain after every and any wet encounter and or every 500 or so miles. 21k on my chain and it and the sprockets look like new, hasn't needed an adjustment in at least 15k or more miles.

·
Premium Member
7,811 Posts
Most chain lubes will lose lube properties in wet or after washing. So better to re-lube after wash.
:cheers:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alrighty, I better make time to get out and do it then. Might have to wait till Wednesday evening though. I'll remember to take it easy tomorrow.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Just be careful with chemical grease removers and such. The chain o-rings are sealed, as they are meant to be. Any chemical product that enters sealed chain o-rings will effectively turn the chain useless

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Might also want to lube your clutch cable, they have are prone to rusting and have been known to fray and snap at the lever end-I use the same stuff on both.

I lube my chain every 300 miles or so with this stuff, now know as Gustavo Lube and have over 27k on the chain and sprockets.

Machog

·
Registered
371 Posts
Lube after wash....yes.
Ride the bike a few minutes to get the chain warm and dry first though.

Clean? Maybe. I only clean mine when it gets visibly dirty. Which is usually after a ride in the rain.
If I am washing and cleaning on the same day, I will clean the chain first, wash the bike, then ride and then lube.

Putting lube on a cold or wet chain is just throwing the lube away.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'll second the Dupont Multi use. Since I started using it a few years ago, I notice I don't need to clean the chain nearly as often as when I used other lubricants, and I've tried them all in the 6 years I've been riding.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Tried a variety of chain lube by far the DuPont Multi Lube is the way to go, if I wash the bike I would give it a quick hit. Usually every 300 miles but generally when I fill the fuel tank I spray the chain. I just pop it up on the rear stand and give a quick spin and spray and that's it. Doesnt even take a minute. The Dupont leaves little in the way of a mess if any thing at all on the rear wheel.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Keep your chain lubed with Gustavo Lube and you'll be golden for miles and miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts