Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had installed the 15T front sprocket @ 1st service, and I've always been puzzled about speedo and odo accuracy since then. I finally tested with a GPS and speedo is still optimistic. @ 7,000 RPM speedo reads 100kmh (62mph) and GPS reads 96kmh (~60 MPH) ...GPS reads slightly lower for pretty much any speed.

My conundrum comes from gearingcommander.com which states, with 15T front gearing, @ 7,000 speed should be 104kmh (~65mph). With stock gearing speed @ 7,000 should be 97.1kmh (~60mph)

I watched Anthony Compton's youtube clip showing his bike running @ 7,000 and his speedo reading ~60mph and I assume gearing is stock - he doesn't say otherwise.

So I'm wondering if the bike shop accidentally installed the wrong sprocket...I did get back the original 14T in the package that new sprocket came in - and the part number refers to a 15T PowerDrive sprocket. I like to think that gearingcommander is accurate.

So before I remove the countershaft sprocket cover and count the teeth, my question is, what is your accurate speed @ 7,000? And are you running 14T or 15T front sprocket?

Thanks in advance...this is driving me nuts.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My bike shows 60mph on my Garmin Oregon 450 gps at exactly 7000rpm and I have a 15t cs installed. The bike speedo reads right at 63 mph at 7000rpm...so, it is reading 3 mph faster than the true speed.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Keep in mind that changing the gearing has no effect on the speed reading the speedo displays.
This is because the speed indication, for both ABS and Non-ABS models is sourced from the Rear Wheel Rotation Sensor. The ABS model also uses the RWRS as part of its ABS, but the Non-ABS model has an RWRS as well - just for the speed reading.
As per normal practice, the VX 300 speedo reads about 4% optimistic.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Brockie and whsperquiet for responding - from that I won't remove the cover to count the sprocket teeth. This all makes sense now if all speed data is coming off a RWRS.

I guess I put too much expectation on gearingcommander data which are perhaps theoretical calculations and not real world conditions. I'll sleep better now :)

BTW, if anyone wants to further share their GPS speed @ rpm, along with their gearing, I would be interested.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
473 Posts
100kph indicated = 6,800rpm. Gearing 14/42 on OEM tyres.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If speed indicated is derived from rear wheel sensor then the gearing will still I make a difference when revs are compared to measured speed. If you reduce gearing by 10% then you should see a 10% increase in revs for the same wheel speed.

Plus your rev counter is often not very accurate. I have another bike that over reads revs by 300rpm everywhere !

Gearing commander uses an assumed tyre circumference, your tyre may not be that specific circumference. So you should run the gps against speedo & rev counter on the stock gearing & then adjust the gearing commander peramaters to be correct for your setup, then play with alternate gearings.

As they say YMMV.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Mohawk and Fastoman,

I think my rev counter is pretty accurate. And Fastoman, I've studied gearingcommander to death, which is why I got into this quandry in the first place.

On another note, I have a OBDll Bluetooth reader for my car - works great with Torque Pro app. It has an accurate tachometer as well as GPS vs Speedo guage.

I notice that Torque Pro can also be configured for motorcycles. Anyone know of a Kawasaki OBDll (Bluetooth) reader? I should Google that...

·
Premium Member
7,878 Posts
Thanks Mohawk and Fastoman,

I think my rev counter is pretty accurate. And Fastoman, I've studied gearingcommander to death, which is why I got into this quandry in the first place.

On another note, I have a OBDll Bluetooth reader for my car - works great with Torque Pro app. It has an accurate tachometer as well as GPS vs Speedo guage.

I notice that Torque Pro can also be configured for motorcycles. Anyone know of a Kawasaki OBDll (Bluetooth) reader? I should Google that...
I did look up on the OBD reader for kawa, but in vain....if you come across , let us know. Meanwhile enjoy your ride and be safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts