Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was toying with an idea, and wanted to get some advice. I've looked around and didn't find anything, so I thought I'd post here.

When my wife and I ride the bike together, the Ver has a tendency to try to wheelie - many of you saw the aftermath in a thread I posted a while back. If I go much past 1/4 throttle with a passenger, the bike tries to lift the front wheel, and I'm tired of dealing with it. I want to be able to open the throttle without having any danger of lifting the front wheel.

So, what's the best way to set up the bike so I can minimize this tendency?

Thanks,

~oz

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
The Versys' wheelbase is a bit short, and the passenger sits behind the rear axle. Wheelie tendency is greater with a heavier passenger... One way to reduce wheelie tendency is to switch from the countershaft 15 tooth sprocket to a 16 tooth (6.66% taller gearing), as many have done. It also reduces speedometer error from about 8% over to 1.5% over actual speed, but with an odometer error up to about minus 6%.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I thought you was going to say one way to reduce wheelie tendency is to switch to a lighter wife. :) I will have a 16 tooth sprocket shortly. My wife rides her own bike and dose her own wheelies. I have noticed when she rides with me I can lift the tire in 4th. Its more fun to wheelie with screaming in your ear.

·
Registered
530 Posts
When I put my 160 lb S.O. on the back - I've never noticed a tendency to wheelie and that includes the top case and two side cases.

I don't have much suggestions on how to fix this other than maybe ease up on the throttle, more parking lot practice with your passenger, increase the preload on your rear spring, maybe less preload on the front. Check tire pressure - Increase on the back.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Increasing the rear preload should help some. You may also want to drop the forks down a few mm in the triple trees and get some more weight on the front.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts