Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Teacherman,

I'm planning a ride from Dallas/Ft Worth to the California central coast first of July for a week, routing back through Colorado for a week of fishing near Leadville with my brothers. Like you I've only done local 300 mile trips and a weekender in Oklahoma. I'm following advice from everyone who's ridden long distance closely. I anticipate HOT weather during the day riding out of Texas and part of NM...oh yeah and the Mojave desert, but will still be packing cold weather gear for those cool higher elevations. The liners on my Olympia jacket and pants are pretty warm.

Find an old tire and practice using your puncture repair kit. I have a tank bag, the top case and soft saddle bags that came with my (used) V and plan to strap down a duffle across the pillion seat. Altogether looks kinda like Motopsycho's pics above. All that should carry the clothes I need for two weeks plus a sleeping bag, 2-man tent and sleeping pad. I've got a hydration pack so I don't have to stop to drink all the time.

I will ship gear for the fishing trip to Colorado to save space and weight. Only need swim trunks for Cali :).

I've got most of the mods as noted above except for the fender extender for the front fender. The Scala unit is on my list so I can listen to tunes on my iPhone. I've found that the Powerlet plug and cable is the way to go for delicate smart phone electrics. There's plenty of room on the dash to drill a hole and mount the plug.

I think I will get one of the loud horns to replace the beep-beep horn, too.

If I have extra room I may pack a 30oz. fuel bottle. I don't want buzzards picking my bones in the California desert!

I read a thread once where a guy threaded an extra clutch cable right next to the working one. It would definitely speed up repair time on the road in case of a break. With mileage in the high teens by then I'll probably do that trick.

If you see a red 08 V with Texas plates in Utah or Colorado that's me!

·
Registered
365 Posts
If i might add, would suggest you carry a few extra nuts and bolts of various sizes in case you lose one, zipties will save you headaches in a pinch to.

·
Registered
43 Posts
2009 Versys Outfited for Adventure

Here's how I was outfitted last year. If you're going off-road be sure to keep the box light. We rode some rough tracks a bit too fast and I bent my rear rack (SW Motech) so that the box was leaning back at a very noticeable angle. For this year I ordered Happy-Trail panniers so I'll be foregoing the rear box.

WP_000082.jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
padded cycling shorts and Monkey Butt powder for the long days...look after your ass and your trip will much more enjoyable...:)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
A credit card with a high available balance.
A subscription to the american motorcyclist association (cheapest road side assistance for motorcycles)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I grew up in Montana- June can be cold and wet. This is particularly true in the mountain areas. Good heated gear will help tremendously, but great rain gear is essential. If you get cold and wet on your ride, then it's game over. Hand guards would be a great idea, too. That would help keep you hand dry and warmer. FYI, snow is not beyond the realm of possibilities.

Are you planning on staying in hotels/motels? Or are you going to rough it with tent camping? Either way, waterproof luggage would be wise, too. Twisted Throttle has some waterproof luggage. If your not camping, then you should have enough room to pack other essentials since you will not have hard side luggage like the V35's. The V46 is surprisingly large and having it installed will help with packing items on the passenger seat.

Two weeks on a bike is a long time, good thing your planning carefully and asking for advice.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
That sounds like an awesome trip! The weather really depends on the year? Sometimes some of the passes only open for a couple of weeks. Other years its warm and dry. You will know when you get here.
I hope you have great weather! If it get wet it gets cold. Have a little extra water proof warm stuff and I hope you don't have to use it! :thumb: Watch out for animals also! :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a KATO throttle lock and can tell you it works amazing. Heated grips are such a nice bonus as well.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts