Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can anyone point me to an inexpensive replacement radiator fan for my 2012 650 V2? I've read that some of the Ninja 650 and/or ER6 fans will work. Read a lot.... Wonder if anyone knows? (Striking how many people have had failures in this area.)

My fan spins freely, but doesn't turn when power applied to the coupler. It's on the bench now. Radiator started overflowing when riding dirt in 1st gear last weekend. (Only lost 3/4 cup of coolant.) I have never seen the idiot light for overheating.

There was a pebble blocking the fan, and blown fuse. Funny that fuse and fan both failed? Maybe this happened years ago. Not seeing how to get access to the brushes inside fan.

Riding without a fan now. Doesn't seem necessary for my conditions. Mostly! Coolant reservoir is visible from cockpit, and the gurgling is loud.

There was also a burning electrical insulator type smell coming from area of fan the night before, when riding gravel. So maybe it had been working, I had just never heard it. Seems unlikely, since I turn off engine with the kill switch (rather than turning off ignition) all the time, should have heard it at least once.

Premium Member
Have a look and see if your fan has 3 or 4 mounting legs. That is the only criteria. Most are interchangeable. If you were in Canada I would sell you my spare, as I don't think it will work on the my 2015. Also KLR and Ninja 650 fit.
Here is a example
4 leg;
3 leg

Reactions: NighthawkGS

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 2011 Ninja 650R fan works. Exact same part with same part number on it. PITA to work down there, but was able to slide fan in behind radiator by just removing the one radiator mount bolt and pulling radiator out of the way. (Plastic side covers already removed.) Scary working with the radiator, those things are fragile. I used threadlocker instead tightening any bolts too much.

Going to try to rig up some protection, along with new radiator guard, to keep foreign objects out of the fan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts