Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive riden bikes for years and never had a punture, I ride up to 10000 miles a year.
Bought a 2010 V and under 700 miles a bit screw through the tread on my new rear tyre this is a pisser.

Never liked getting bike tyres repaired but these have only just been scrubbed in.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Dirt or pavement riding? Spring cleanup (street sweepers and grading) tends to dig up things that stayed buried all winter (street OR dirt included). Stay out of the gutters if you can. Lousy luck.

V-Zee

·
Registered
302 Posts
i had my metzeler z6 for a week and a screw self-screwed in my rear tire....thats bad luck!
dont worry man,did you change the whole tire or repear it?

·
Registered
670 Posts
maybe you can get it patched instead of buying a new tire....

·
Registered
302 Posts
i patched mine with an inner "musroom" like patch.after 15k km i have never felt any problems with the rear.the original hole was about 2 mm

·
Registered
51 Posts
More and more dealers these days are refusing to repair a tire. I assume with all the sue-happy people these days dealers have some liability fears.

I've ridden long and fast with patched and plug tires without any problems.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I tried to get them to patch and plug mine, but they refuse. New tire or nothin'- I have known the service manger personally for over 10 years. (way before I got the bike)
It's liability. You can do it yourself no problem though.

·
Premium Member
7,815 Posts
IT's plain bad luck. Get a Musroom and plug the tire. Sure will given you miles of trouble free ride.

:cheers:

·
Registered
842 Posts
My new Pirelli Angels picked up a screw in the rear tire at less than 200 miles.

The local [Suzi] dealer plugged it for me.

I feel your pain.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I plugged a rear with the old cord plugs and it worked fine. I would use the mushroom plugs if I did it again. Plugging the rear wouldn't concern me, but never a front.

·
Registered
779 Posts
++ for ride on. I picked up a 3 inch nail somewhere last year. Went in, bent over, and I don't know how long it was there "till i noticed it, but it was well worn. Pulled it out, and never a leak.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Took the car to work today hated it but needed to fix the puncture.
The tyre place pluged it after taking out a 21/2 inch scew ut of it.

If you tried to hammer the screw into the tyre it would bounce off, how does this happen

·
Registered
302 Posts
the nose of the screw is thin.if you roll over it the force and the bad luck can twist it and start a self-screwing procedure in analogy with the tire rolling .little by little every turn the screw goes deeper ,the force of the weight is radial but screws helical geometry helps it to screw in the rubber.
there is also a possibility someone screw it by hand ,do you have enemies?
happened once with another bike i had...stupidity in its zenith....

·
Registered
582 Posts
I picked a screw up in the front tire, and chose to replace instead of repair. I do carry a mushroom plug kit and a small air pump in my saddlebags at all times just in case. With only 2 tires and being a front, i just felt more comfortable replacing it. still have the old front tire with the screw still in it, don't know why though.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts