Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone or any group has tried to accomplish this.
A relay ride starting at point "A" and ending back at point "A".

Say I start from Texas, relay the item to someone in Arkansas, they relay the item to someone in "X", etc. etc. Until it finally ends up back in Texas. Perhaps a camera could be the item? and relays could be setup via a forum thread with PM for coordinating? No specifics just pondering the notion.

·
Registered
434 Posts
We did that on a W650 forum! We used a Logbook that you could add a note\photo whatever you like. It was fun and provided opportunities to meet other W Riders.

Here's a picture from a transfer I took place in. Met two W riders from NM in Springerville, AZ. Then met a W rider here in Scottsdale for transfer to CA. I'm the handsome guy on the right...

Attachments

·
Registered
959 Posts
I like the idea.. especially if it could be made to be global.. or perhaps US, Canada and Europe.

mind you we Europeans could just get of our arses and do it ourselves :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
I don't know if anyone or any group has tried to accomplish this.
A relay ride starting at point "A" and ending back at point "A".

Say I start from Texas, relay the item to someone in Arkansas, they relay the item to someone in "X", etc. etc. Until it finally ends up back in Texas. Perhaps a camera could be the item? and relays could be setup via a forum thread with PM for coordinating? No specifics just pondering the notion.
Jack, looks like it's you, I and a couple of others...

You are 990 miles from me. meet you in the middle!

C'mon people, a road trip is always worthy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe this will spark some interest:
Agreement Regarding Record Attempt ("Agreement")
This Agreement dated 16/1/2010

In relation to the record attempt ("Record Attempt") of: Worlds farthest motorcycle relay

Between

GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS LTD (hereafter referred to as “GWR”/”us”/”we”), Company Number 00541295, of 3rd Floor, 184-192 Drummond Street, London, NW1 3HP UK and “you”

Mr Jack Hammond
1220 Paladin Trail
Spring Branch
TX
United States

** The exact title of the record is subject to change and GWR may offer you a valid alternative record if your suggestion is not acceptable.

I have sent "Bear" an email to help with the logs and have contacted Kodak to sponsor. The last is iffy.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
This sounds like fun I am game in mass or new england area. But hope it doesn't get here till spring.
I am challenging all members to keep this thread alive this spring. Bump it, comment, just keep it on the new posts page as much as you can.

I

Links:
http://wikitravel.org/en/Route_66
http://www.historic66.com/
http://www.national66.com/
www.roadtripusa.com/routes/route66/route66.html
www.legendsofamerica.com/66-Mainpage.html
www.route66life.com
www.theroadwanderer.net/route66.htm
www.bygonebyways.com/Route 66.htm
:welcome::thanx::goodluck::feedback:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How About Including Route 1 in the West, 90 in the East? If we can get some People from Europe and points East involved? Canada and South America? How big do we want to go and how big is manageable? I'm up for it and willing to do some of the management. Still waiting on the Guinness people to get back with their decision.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agreed. I figure with this being a Forum the backend database should have the member locations available so that routing should be manageable. The weak link will be scheduling each leg. I would like for each participant to be recognized for their portion. That is why I have approached the Guinness World Record organization.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Agreed. I figure with this being a Forum the backend database should have the member locations available so that routing should be manageable. The weak link will be scheduling each leg. I would like for each participant to be recognized for their portion. That is why I have approached the Guinness World Record organization.
Good point, I forgot to mention: all posters to this thread note;
Please include your city and state in your signature, if you don't already have that set up. Thanks!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sounds like an interesting idea. I am in the New York metropolitan area, so could get it from Jersey or Pennsylvania and deliver it up near Massachusetts. Just keep me up to date and pray for good weather! :)

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I want to share some information about relay riding with the Versys community. The Honda ST1300/ST1100 community has been doing a "Pony Express Ride" around the USA (48 lower states) for two years.

In 2008 the idea was to carry the Pony Express pack (which contains a log book a SPOT locator) from one state capitol to the next, by whatever route the participants choose, handing off the pack in front of the capitol building. Did all 48 states.

In 2009 the theme was to hand off the pack inside a state or national park. The way the route went (reverse of 2008) winter caught up with us and the ride is stuck in the Midwest awaiting a decent thaw.

Khris St. Clair, an Air Force Sgt from Texas, had the original idea and he organizes things via the ST-Owners.com website. It's a lot of fun. Many participants make voluntary contributions to the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation, which adds a degree of importance to the rides.

My article on the Pony Express Ride was in Rider magazine in February 2010 (my website version is now available, here) and you can poke around the Pony Express Ride forum on the ST-Owners website (here) if you want to see how those V4 dudes do it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I can't believe I missed this thread! Way to go Jack! I made this thread a sticky so it'll be at the top of the 'Member Rides" forum.
I'd be willing to help, but I only live about an hour from Jack. Not much of a relay leg there.
I think if we could coordinate sending one of Mike's shields all over the country, surely we could coordinating sending a logbook of some sort.
Jack takes it to Bear who takes it to someone further west who takes it to Gustavo, who takes it to South America and back, etc...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Getting a lot of feedback. Please be patient. It will be a few more weeks before the Guinness people get back to me regarding acceptance or denial of the proposed world record attempt. If it is denied we can still go forward. If it is accepted fame and fortune or at least maybe a little notoriety.
To start the thought process.... I am thinking North and South America. If someone can figure out how to get across the Bering Strait or through Greenland we could include Europe. Possibly a ferry across?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts