Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
201 - 220 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
So just a few odds and bobs to fix up, I relocated the registration label from hanging below the trellis to the bracket under the seat (I'll replace the crappy plastic cover with a decent aluminum one shortly.

I then repainted the beak in the same combo as the tank and split that with some thin silver striping.

I also picked up a couple of bits of Aluminum extrusion and crafted up a better radiator expansion can mount (this extrusion matched the curve of the bottle perfectly).

Also in Preparation for the new 'Madstad' Screen and Robo brackets, I decided to give the top of the Buell screen a little more support so i attached some hand fabricated lengths of aluminum from the Bark-Busters to the screen.

Another shot here ... you can also see a small bracket above the P in Protaper where I mounted the Switch for the Spotlights basically bolted down to the handlebar Riser.

I also gave the wiring a tidy up behind the light with some split plastic tubing.

Finally i thought its a good day for a ride (as was last Sunday) so i took my bike up to Mt. Glorious.. a nice Hour each way from my home with an awesome Coffee and Black Forest Cake, once you get there.

Here's 2 YouTube links to the road, arguably one of the best motorcycle roads in Australia.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
Heh, not to sure about taking her pants off ..yet.

If the Swingarm was black as well, I would be more inclined to do it. I kinda like the bottom as is, imo the silver flows better across the bottom of the bike and blends in with the silver pinstriping.

In saying that however, a nice adonised aluminium bashplate would look good.

Just as a side note having that screen pulled back and Fixed in position has cleaned up the Air coming off it, its much quieter than before.

·
Registered
272 Posts
These look like the factory fairing but cut down and then wrapped around the front. I'm sure they are custom made but you wouldn't need to move the coolant reserve if you could get something like this. Makes me wonder if this is possible to accomplish with the factory fairing...

Need answers on what buell is the windscreen from

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sambamboo- Now that your bike is close to naked, how does the wind protection compare to the stock fairings and windshield? I might do something similar with my V down the road, but don't want to lose all the wind protection.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sambamboo- Now that your bike is close to naked, how does the wind protection compare to the stock fairings and windshield? I might do something similar with my V down the road, but don't want to lose all the wind protection.
Im just over 6 feet tall and a ride with all my fairings removed reminded me of my 01 SV650. Way too much work to stabilize myself above 40 MPH. I love the naked look but it really sucks to ride an upright bike without wind protection. My 06 Harley sportster was a completely different story, never even thought about wind protection. That bike was stable as hell. The versys is very well designed and the wind protection from the chest down is very nice to have. The look of the naked bike is the best IMO. Always looking for another Versys or an ER6n to go naked with on the really hot rides.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 · (Edited)
For normal city riding and some hills riding its very clean air, it hits me around the upper chest, but there is no buffeting around the helmet. I do about 15 mins on the freeway each way to work and its fine. I am however getting a bigger screen for longer trips...see earlier madstad adaptor and screen pic.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Looks Great!!!!!. I ve just started today on mine. Im stripping down the fairings and creating a new plastic housing for around the headlight. I plan on keeping the tac housing just gettng a peice of ABS plastic to mount around. Then I will be trimming the front fender down three inches or so off the front. Repositioning the front turns into the new housing or just get new LED shot posts and mount them on the frame. Thanks for all great ideas guys. KEEP US ALL POSTED WITH YOUR PROJECTS!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
started with this

were i am at now

the clip-ons i have are woodcraft 2.5 inch rise, i want to make the angle more acute but the top triple shape blocks it. anyone know of an other top triple tree that will fit?

·
Registered
272 Posts
How is the riding position with those bars now? I am looking at swapping out the bars for more of a street fighter stance. Did you need to shorten the cables or anything?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The riding position is pretty far forward, your lower back will get sore for the first few days. My only problem i have now is that the riser part of the bar will not go past the pointed corner on the triple tree. if it did i could angle the bars in a little bit more, helping put the riding position a little more up right. over all im glad i went with the clip ons.

as for the cables, when i first put them on i had to reroute the clutch and throttle cables. Tailgun used er6n cables so i followed him. i got an er6n clutch cable and it works great. but bikebandit only sent me the opening throttle cable, so i still have the stock throttle cables on only rerouted them. the throttle does seem a little sticky and is slow to return. ill have to find other place to get the closing er6n cable.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
Something I found out after finishing off all the fiberglass/Filler and paint work to my tank, was that when it was full of fuel on a warmish day it was leaking through one of the old bracket spotwelds, Doh.

I've spent the past few days repairing it with Permatex gas tank putty then reattaching the custom fiberglass buildout, and reshaping it back with bodyfiller. I should have it undercoated tomorrow ready for repainting in a couple of days.

So as a note to anyone that intends on going down a similar bracket removal route, ensure you fill your tank right up and take it for a decent run and check for leaks before completing your painting etc.

I've also added a 43 Tooth rear Sprocket... I think I'm a convert. It seems to of tamed some low speed snatchiness issues I was having, and had dropped the revs down a touch during my daily highway commute.

201 - 220 of 237 Posts