Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
181 - 200 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
Pulled all the foam out from the bottom of beak and did another layer of Fiberglass for added strength.
I had to grind a bit with a Dremel, before added the holes for the bolts. now for sanding, filling and painting.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Fitted up the finished Beak tonight..it still needs another lick of paint but I happy with how its come out so far. gave it a decent wiggle and its very solid I can even sit my beer on it.

Still in 2 minds if I really like it or not. I think i need a black front fender, and perhaps paint the middle of the beak green to match the tank.

I decided to hack into a spare Radiator cowl, to try and tidy up the untidy mess below the tank, I've been meaning to do this since I started this naked conversion. I know I could just remove them but to me they do have a some aesthetic appeal.

After cutting out a fair bit of plastic i taped over the now gaping hole with masking tape and fiber-glassed it from behind, I'll use body filler to hopefully get it to its final shape tomorrow.
It will still look a little unusual due to the remaining welded lugs on the frame getting in the way somewhat, but once finished and painted it should blend in a bit better.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 · (Edited)
Well that was fun ..

The first layer of filler has been applied and sanded back roughly and it looks much better than i thought it would, to be honest. i just need to feather the edges a bit more before i do a High fill undercoat.

While i was On-Line last night I came across a Screen from Madstad for a Buell XB12 which is identical to my front end screen setup, so although the price is a bit steeper than i would have liked I'm going to get one purely for the convenience and adjust-ability

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/it.A/id.143/.f

Should be just the ticket for those longer freeway runs I recon.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 · (Edited)
Undercoat done and sanded. I blacked out my Highway Peg-Bar as well. looks a lot better, might do the lower fairings while I'm in the painting mood.

Going to attack the LHS one tomorrow.. don't think I'll be finding any 2nd hand Cowls cheaply soon and I'm not going back to the original V's fairing unless i have to sell it which is even more unlikely.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
heh, Done ...its taken me 3 years so far...and I still have a few ideas left in my head.
Not sure if I'll ever get finished, more of a constant work in progress.

But I am enjoying the ride. :thumb:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
Painted up with Matt Black Acrylic.

Should give her a decent wash and polish soon...doh

Before and after

RHS cowl is a little more problematic due to the Overflow tank brackets..It should come up well.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
I have to do a little more glassing on the rhs cowl due to a shaping issue.

I also decided to make an attempt at sorting out the tank brackets once and for all.. although the pods have served me well for the past couple of years it was time for them to go.

I had a look at what both Tailgun and JDRocks have done to there tanks and wanted to do something a little differently. I wanted to remove the lower black fairing that goes under the tank and seat, however I didn't want the notch in the tank thats left over from the removal of the fairings.

So after using a Spot-weld remover to take the brackets off and then spending 5 hours
sanding back the tank and attacking some light surface rust with a Dremel wire brush wheel I gave it a very rough light skim of filler to cover the raised spot weld points and the minor indentations left under the main brackets.

I then uses some Glassing foam to build out the areas at the bottom and side of the tank, then filled and sanded them back till i had the contours right. it was then onto Glassing I only used one thick sheet of Fiberglass, as i didn't want to build up the area much, and its supported by the foam underneath I will also have to feather the filler into the rest of the tank.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
I started the long a laborious task of filling and sanding back the tank. I've filled in most of the odd Curves left over from the original Fairings. and although the following photos don't show it too well yet the shape is much more 'Flowing'.. for want of a better word.

('A Dogs Breakfast' is how it looks atm)

With any luck i should have the undercoat done and sanded back by tomorrow night.
I did a quick re-sand on the RHS Radiator Cowl, that should be all done tomorrow too.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
Just as a side note, If your wondering what the weight difference will be after all the filler Foam and Fiberglass has been added to this tank. Ill let you know as soon as I'm done, as I have the original tank stashed away with the fairings etc... I recon tho it will be under a Kg.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Have had busy 24 hours finished undercoating the tank and did a final sand back with 240 grit and it was looking good. You can still tell that its not one Super smooth perfectly shaped bit of metal. but to get it to that stage would take another week of filling and sanding so I decided to leave it as is.

Because of the shape, I thought Matt Black would be the best Shade to paint it so I gave it a decent coat gave it a light sand back with 2k wet and dry till it was smooth and mounted it on the bike, and to be perfectly honest I was a little underwhelmed.

So i had a think, and then went back to the first picture that i posted in 'Naked Versys Pics' and had a long hard look at what they had done to their tank and decided that to help tie everything together I would follow their lead, and paint the top half of the tank gloss black and then run some silver pin-striping between the two.

By doing this I think the unusual bumps in the tank will go virtually unnoticed.

The gloss is currently out in the sun drying. I also did a bit of creative surgery to the front fender, by matching the Straighter curve that is found at the rear of it. Not sure who did this on this forum first but Thank you for the idea.

I have since cleaned it up and painted it Matt black as well.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
I gave the tank a light wet sand back (will do more when its hardened up a bit) and polished it up with some cutting compound then added the Pin Striping and mounted it back on the bike..

I've run out of Matt black paint, so I'm going to do the small rear Fairings that are under the rear seat at a later date. I'm also going to make some small covers for the triangular Area left by removing the long black piece that runs under the tank.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Looks great. Based on my recent experience of a small stone thrown against the engine and then wedging between the back of the radiator and the fan, you might want to extend the back of the front fender, as long as you're doing all the rest of this work. I bought a Fenda Extenda which isn't really noticeable since the front fender was black and so's the plastic extender. Ideally you would want to paint it to match. (The rock burned the fan out. A new one is $300, but used are available on eBay.) (Note: Small stone - really a gravel chip, more like 1/4-inch to 5/16-inch diameter.)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
Cheers Tiger, I hadn't thought of that happening, I might see if i can retro fit a grill or something under the radiator somehow (I'm not real keen on an extender) also my aluminum Highway peg bar, would assist somewhat in deflecting any debris.

I'm off to get some more paint for the rear and possibly some other farkles today. I'm also thinking about getting a thin Green pin-stripe to go above, or below the silver one
just for a bit of Color.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
Went for a decent ride today ..picked up a few bits and pieces, I've had a tight spot in my Chain for about 18 months now so grabbed a new one. (i need a proper chain tool to remove the old one tho ...Doh)

I also snagged a new set of Pro Taper Bars (ATV Mid) which are about 2 and a bit inches wider than stock with a similar sweep ...they feel fantastic. I also picked up a set of the Original Bark Busters plastic hand-guards, as i thought the Storm ones i Had were a bit too bland, (just a simple screw in swap). Before I put both of these on I painted the handlebar riser Matt Black to blend in with the rest of the build.

Interestingly on my hunt for Pin striping i couldn't get the green I wanted unless I paid around $30 for some wheel trim tape, so I decided on 6mm Yellow for about $7 instead.
I did this before I knew i was going to get the Pro Tapers so I'm stoked everything matched so beautifully.

I ran the yellow under the Silver Strip and added it to the top box and the Screen.
While i had the Handlebar mount off for painting i also cleaned up and repainted the small rear fenders under the seat, that still were the original green.

While out Shopping for Farkles i also grabbed a set of Off-road mirrors for $15 a pop ..I'll give them a try and if they don't work out i'll go back to the originals. I think they look quite trick tho.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
As the old adage goes ..you get what you pay for. The side mirrors were &%@$, so I put the Originals back on. I also wanted to reinstall the Barkbuster end weights, however the Protaper bars were a touch too long to get everything to bolt up easily. So I've cut about 8mm off each end..... Off for a ride now.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
Spent some more time on my V this week added some Yellow reflective tape to the rims
and had enough left over to replace the yellow tape on the tank. flows realy nicely across the bike now.

I got around to getting the New Chain on, after a couple of small teething problems. (pun intended) Its worked out a treat. I added some gold bobbins too as my old black ones were kinda trashed.

I also etch-primed all the Barkbusters metal bits and painted them matt black.

181 - 200 of 237 Posts